playMaker

Author Topic: Cubicle Cat Superstar! (IOS, Android)  (Read 14594 times)

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Cubicle Cat Superstar! (IOS, Android)
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 05:53:06 AM »
Hi,
does (performance wise) it make a lot difference if you put all into 1 fsm or split it up into different fsm's and use send events to those fsm's ?

friendlydog

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 09:42:50 AM »
Hi,
does (performance wise) it make a lot difference if you put all into 1 fsm or split it up into different fsm's and use send events to those fsm's ?

I read somewhere on this forum that fewer fsms is better for performance.
For me, it helps keeping overview and control over what is going on in the game, if most things happen in only 1 (master) FSM.

There was some noticeable performance slump on an iphone 4 when sending events to another GO-FSM to start/stop audio playback!

thatnzguy

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 05:07:32 PM »
Thanks for the screenshot.

It's great to hear the pros/cons/problems a developer has faced when developing a game in PlayMaker. I encountered the multidimensional arrays issue recently. One lame method I used was (in PM 1.8.0 - it has native arrays) to have a separate array for each dimension with the indexes matched up.

friendlydog

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 05:24:08 PM »
I encountered the multidimensional arrays issue recently. One lame method I used was (in PM 1.8.0 - it has native arrays) to have a separate array for each dimension with the indexes matched up.

haha, yes, thats what I did too. ugly and unwieldy long components list in the property inspector. good to hear about the 1.8 thing! looking forward to that.

another major major major beef I had is the sorting layer issue with transparent textures (with a 3D cam). the unity free version just cannot display multiple, layered/ overlapping png sprites without messing up the overlapping. some z buffer pro version thing IIRC. in the end i had to manually set the sorting layer AND the sorting layer depth for each texture . and there are 155 in this game.
but at least it is possible to make it work, even if its a headache :-)

friendlydog

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 09:58:05 AM »
Here is some devLog stuff:

1. prototype: fully functional core game (cubes moving towards a center square, hit direction button to shoot down when within killzone range)
up and running in 2h!

2. first GUI sketch (more like a wireframe):

3. STILL in the game! Audio Play bug.  :( :( :(
just showed up for no reason - and refuses to be solved in a build that worked just fine 1 hour ago.