playMaker

Author Topic: Global Variables are missing  (Read 5402 times)

wheretheidivides

Global Variables are missing
« on: November 09, 2015, 11:31:45 AM »
So the global variables are missing in a project I have spent 1.5 years on.  Are they still there and playmaker can not find them?  How do I get them back.

Thanks for any help.

wheretheidivides

Re: Global Variables are missing
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 12:09:42 PM »
I'm thinking maybe when paymaker didn't work I deleted the playmaker folder and downloaded everything.  Thus deleting the global variables files.  Geez, if true they WHY THE F---- does playmaker not have a backup someone else of the hard drive?????????

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 03:22:46 PM »
Hi,
If you deleted the folder then they are lost and you have that with any asset not only with playmaker.
If you have a backup of your project folder then you can retrieve them from there.

with the latest version it seem to save into the plugins folder.
try to search for "PlayMakerGlobals.asset"

There are also some programs that can retrieve deleted files/folder.
try searching in google "retrieve deleted files"

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 10:24:35 AM »
Hi,

All data of a project sits in the Project folder, so you need to be always very careful when deleting or cleaning up.

I do think that it is misleading that PlayMaker global assets is inside the PlayMaker folder, but it's also understandable from a structural point of view to prevent multiple locations for PlayMaker stuff.

In short:

-- ALWAYS use Sourcetree + Github repository (both free) to prevent this kind of loss.
-- Commit often, at least every 30 mn, basically everytime you did something relevant.

If you need help setting up  github, let me know. I'll help.

Bye,

Jean

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 04:09:45 PM »
Hi jean,

I always copy paste to my Dropbox manually.
is it easier with Sourcetree + Github
if so can you recommend a good video tutorial?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 01:20:16 AM »
Hi,

I have always wanted to do a video showing how to set it up and how to work with it.

Currently, I am running behind big time... so it will not happen this week, maybe next week.

the bottom line is:

1: create an account at https://bitbucket.org/ ( free private reps)
2: download sourcetree https://www.sourcetreeapp.com/
3: Drop your Unity project onto sourcetree and it will create a rep, it will ask youif you want to create the remote rep ( the online version), say yes, and follow the steps

but, if you are not confident. wait for me to do a video on this.

Bye,

Jean

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 01:22:08 AM »
Hi,

realized I haven't replied to your question...

yes, it's easier with sourcetree to work.
-- it's easier to share work, and work as a team
-- It's easier to have proper history of what you did, and revert a file for example
-- It's totally fail safe, you will never loose your work ( harddisk failure, lost dvd, dropbox folder deleted, etc,etc) full stop...

Bye,

Jean

terri

• terrivellmann.tumblr.com
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 08:56:59 AM »
I have a habit of just zipping up the project file with the current date and dropping it on dropbox regularly. I work solo though, would be a mess if I worked with others. So far it has saved my ass more than a few times.

Regarding the original topic, take it as a lesson, always back up before removing / adding / updating anything from the asset store and Unity itself.
You can try to shift the blame to anywhere else but in the end you're the one that will lose time and work.

wheretheidivides

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 09:14:55 PM »
So jean, why can't playmaker just have an option to backup the global variables to the desktop or documents folder or somewhere??????  It seems so simple.

Also, have you all gotten global variables to be able to be renamed yet?  Seems like these are the #1 and #2 priorities.

Geez, I spent 1 1/2 years on a project and have hundreds of variables.  This is going to take me months to redo.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 12:23:43 AM »
If you upload the projects somewhere and send me a download link I'll see if there's a way to recover the globals from the FSMs. It won't be possible to recover default values, but I might be able to generate a new globals asset with the names and types of the global variables. That should save you a lot of time reconstructing the project. Please PM me the download link (don't post it publicly since the project includes Playmaker).

P.S. You really don't have any backups of a project you've worked 1 1/2 years on!? If you have a backup you can copy the PlayMakerGlobals.asset from the backup and it will restore any globals in that project... or try retrieving the deleted file as djaydino suggested.

edufurla

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 06:33:43 AM »
+ 1 for video.  :)