playMaker

Author Topic: [request][assistance] Setting up a chair sit with Playmaker  (Read 5426 times)

manpower

• Playmaker Newbie
[request][assistance] Setting up a chair sit with Playmaker
« on: December 18, 2015, 01:17:53 AM »
Hello all,

This is my first post, I have been exposed to C# for about a month and decided to try this product. Thank you so far!

I have a very specific goal I am trying to achieve but my understanding is still limited. The end result I want is what Second Life calls a Poseball and Jibe3d calls a chair cube... https://vimeo.com/65069373.

I need help understanding how to setup a similar method, one that can be used in third person, by anyone in the scene. Any help is welcome but please be conducive to helping me learn.

As an artist I have a great deal of furnishing models I wish to exhibit and everything in my project hinges on getting players to sit and interact with the environment and I need something universal that I can just drop onto the furniture,etc.

Thank you in advance!

manpower

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: [request][assistance] Setting up a chair sit with Playmaker
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 07:00:21 PM »
Bueller? Anyone?

Hi anybody even gonna say hello? I know Star-Trek: The Force Generation is in the theaters this weekend, but I could use a little help with this product please. I have been in the manual and wiki both here and at i-tween, and cannot figure how to make an object take control, reposition and animate a player character in third person.

Again, thank you!

manpower

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 01:03:55 AM »
Really?

Okay let me re-phrase this. I purchased a product that claimed anyone can use it but the fact of the matter is you actually need to have a good understanding of coding IN ORDER to use this product.

I come into the forums and ask for product asssistance. Not even a hello from moderator or Product owner. I actually have a reasonable level of expectation of receiving feedback when I post a question, and not something snarky like, "learn more code" which seems to be the battle cry for the entire Unity community.

So, your product isn't quite what it claims and I cannot get any help or advice or even acknowledgement in a 48 hour period so maybe I need to be asking instead for a refund?

This forum is full of unanswered questions so I kinda know how this is gonna turn out...

I would say thanks but for what??

manpower

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 03:19:51 PM »
What is the point of having a forum if you are going to ignore half the posts made here? Is there even moderation on this sight?

Seriously, what is the point of having a forum if you aren't going to address the questions raised here?

I have written to the company demanding a full refund. If that doesn't happen then I will take it to the unity asset store moderators.

you people suck. and your product is a waste of money. very frustrating.

phannDOTde

• Peter Hann .de
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 07:13:33 PM »
Wrong place and wrong tone dude - really. Community is very active, sharing and helping if possible. Guys from Huttong are pretty responsive all so most of the times - right now they got a HUGE update to be pushed out the door that's why it might be a little slow. All so another thought taken into account - not everyone is working on stuff or visiting forums during christmas days.

addition: you might want to go through PM tutorials on YT for starters https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCll8FyIFgevUyLfd-jhhskA

another addition:

1.) add locators to your furniture to sync a "sitdown" animation
2.) on Click (mouse pick) check if a chair was clicked (by Tag, Name, Arraylist, Layer or what ever)
3.) find the locator of the clicked chair (find child or get child are usefull here)
4.) move your character towards the according locator of the chair (might take into account that the user is clicking somewhere else durring the movement) movement can be done simple by "move to" "itween actions" "position lerps" or advanced with Navmesh and pathfinding
5.) on arival turn your character in the right position for the "sit down" animation
6.) trigger the sit down animation (disable your standard movement controller now)
7.) play Idle while sitting animation

8.) on clicking/a button press or anything else that might be a trigger = start "get up" animation"
9.) turn back on your standard movement controller (direct, FPS, 3rdperson, pont and click - what ever you wanna use)

Thats just a short breakdown - all possible within playmaker - but as i.e. If you don't know spanish you would not try to read a book in spanish before learning the language first - so you should start with some tutorials and figure some stuff out before getting grunty on a friendly forum. One last thing - no one will do the job for you developing your app and your question is pretty vage IMHO and there are many ways to get there.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 07:27:11 PM by phannDOTde »

mdotstrange

• Can't code? Who cares! Make games anyway!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 08:57:47 PM »
This forum is awesome  :) It may take a little while to get a reply BUT the help here is amazing-

If you don't get any replies in a day or two- its good to try simplifying your question and reposting it as a simpler/shorter question-

You are not going to find anything as easy to use and as deep as Playmaker when it comes to making games in Unity without coding so be a little patient and stick around  :)

Also you are going to have to use Mecanim with Playmaker to get that functionality so these links will be helpful if don't already understand how to use Mecanim

If you watch all these Unity tut's you will have a good idea on how to use Mecanim http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/animation

Then grab the Playmaker mecanim action set to work with mecanim https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W1031

I created a free into to playmaker course tutorial video that might be helpful as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vbbiydQtaI
Indie game dev and instructor at the Strange School. Learn Playmaker at the Strange School!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 03:54:29 AM »
Hi,

Yeah, sorry about that, the volume of requests on this forum is overwhelming.

And yes, basically, I would definitly explain what you want to do as opposed to let us watch a 20 mn video. Since it's a tutorial it covers a lot of ground and so where in this video you have difficulties. "Sitting" on a chair from "Any" character it very vague indeed, and can take many many forms for its execution.

Also, this video is really problematic because it shows a feature without explaining how it was created. Since Jibe is a framework, everything is built in, and this video is a very limited tutorial if you want to replicate this feature, it's rather a tutorial on how to use Jibe specifically.

The way it's done in jibe is simple however because there is no consistency between the stand up pose and position and the sit pose and position, which means the character simply jumps to the sitting position and animation pose.

I am not sure where exactly you are having trouble implementing this, is it because you don't know how to use playmaker or because you are bumping into some trouble on Fsm you have already created?

Can you explain where you are stuck on creating this feature? If you are starting from scratch, then I would consider first building your character, and then move on into more advanced features such as Sitting. You'll find that handling the character will already give you a lot fo learn and digest.

For example, can you make this cube react to the mouse, and fire an event to the character to tell it to sit, regardless wether the character is going to sit or not, the communication itself between the mouse, the cube and the character is the first thing to tackle once you have a character.

This is a good example, I don't have time right now to make a working sample, but I'll dig within the Unity learn assets if I can find a character with a sit position, and I'll make a sample to show you how it's done, but that's only likely for beginning of january, is that ok?

As always, do not hesitate to bump threads, we encourage this actually, we don't take it personnaly :) I learned Unity via forums too, so I know exactly your feelings.

Bye,

Jean

Pandur

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 06:41:42 AM »
LoL for what will you became a refund? Playmaker works very well and it is a great asset and help many peopel a lot to create very fast and similar a game.

Samurai sit on budah with Unity and Playmaker :

For your question i think phannDOTde have give you a perfect answer for it.
So when you will learn go on youtue :

FilmstormStudios make Third Person Tuts for Playmaker : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH1svLGqmyVuCnHCHDr0EXw

or look on mdotstrange videos
or here from me :
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLn4sS8aiQ7jlFofBDLJ7J31KOfldhbrXH

so you see it give many stuffs in inet you can learn how use this powerfull tool to create your game.

dudebxl

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 08:16:01 AM »
@manpower

lol.. playmaker is amazing.. I could not have made my shitty games without it.. One day they wont be shit but everybody has to start somewhere. Without playmaker I would have made 0 games as I find unity without playmaker overwhelming especially when you 0 experience in making games and programming but you have to do the tutorials to get a basic understanding of the tool.

dudebxl

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 08:19:19 AM »
@ Pandur

dude you should do a tutorial.. your clip looks cool. How did you get the grass effects?

Pandur

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 09:01:58 AM »
the grass is from asset store : https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/36335 i think that is the best grass for are fair price :D

dudebxl

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 09:03:21 AM »
@Pandur

Cool thx.. it looks great..