playMaker

Author Topic: Support for A* pathfinding (Astar Pathfinding)?  (Read 6191 times)

PlatinumPlayer

• Playmaker Newbie
Support for A* pathfinding (Astar Pathfinding)?
« on: March 17, 2012, 04:30:40 AM »
Hello since i don't own unity pro (yet) i have settled for A* path-finding from the unity store (its quite a nice system). I know PlayMaker plans to add pro navmesh support, but will you add support for A* those without pro? A lot of the scripts can be altered with Set property actions, but there is far to much of them that cant be. Dose anyone else have input related to this path-finding package and adding actions for it?

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Support for A* pathfinding (Astar Pathfinding)?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 02:02:16 PM »
I'd definitely like to support other pathfinding systems.

To speed things up, it helps if people who are familiar with these systems, and would like to see custom actions made, can do some of the design work:

• A link to the system (to make sure we're talking about the same thing!)
  • A link to the docs, or any other useful info (forum threads, support forums)
  • A list of actions needed (roughly prioritized)
  • A brief description of each action if it's not obvious from the docs

All this takes a lot of time to ramp up on from scratch, but someone familiar with the system can put this together fairly quickly...

Then we have a list of actions to work through, and we can work out the kinks together on the forums.

Deal? :)

nuverian

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 06:26:50 PM »
--bump

Having simplepath or a* pathfinding project integrated in Playmaker will be a blast really.

benswinbanks

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 08:04:25 PM »
 ;D

I just made my way to this forum to request this myself!

Aron's A* Pathfinding Project would be an absolutely amazing process. in fact i will put $75 to fast-tracking this process to whomever pulls it off.

here is the pathfinding reference
http://www.arongranberg.com/astar/docs/index.php

what I would require is control over the path finding itself, enabling particular path types (multipath, flee etc) based on variable vector3 input

and also a greater way to effect penalties on grids would be amazing. (for instance be able to use a moving trigger object to update penalties on the fly, then call an 'update grid' action at the end.

Im serious about paying extra for this functionality though.  :D

Cheers
Ben Swinbanks