playMaker

Author Topic: Even A Blank FSM Adds 2 SetPass Calls?  (Read 1893 times)

westingtyler

• My Video Game Projects Web Site
Even A Blank FSM Adds 2 SetPass Calls?
« on: February 22, 2016, 01:32:16 AM »
Short version:
Every FSM I add to my scene adds 2 setpass calls. Is this normal, and is there a way around it?

Detailed version:
Hi! I'm using Playmaker to make a virtual reality Oculus Rift game, and set pass calls need to be under 100.

I've made complex FSM systems, many of them (one gameobject with an FSM for movement, one object with an FSM for firing the gun, etc.), and recently I discovered during editor playtesting that each FSM I add to an object in the scene adds 2 setpass calls, even if the FSM is empty. Even if I add them to the same object, each FSM gets its own 2 setpass calls. Is there any way around this increase in setpass calls, or does this mean that Any Oculus Rift game is limited to less than 50 FSMs if you want smooth performance? I am afraid this means that the more cool features I add into my game, the worse the performance will be, and there is no way around it, apart from cramming every system into one massive fsm, which also isn't feasible because of the editor lag it causes in the fsm window, and also because of how unwieldly that would be. Please help.

Windows 10 64 bit, Unity 5.3.1f1, playmaker 1.7.8.3.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 03:03:34 PM by westingtyler »

westingtyler

• My Video Game Projects Web Site
Re: Even A Blank FSM Adds 2 SetPass Calls?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 03:12:05 PM »
Oh my goodness! I found the culprit! If i disable 'Show State Labels in Game View' in each FSM's FSM tab in the Playmaker Editor, those 2 draw calls go away!

Is there any real penalty for not showing the state labels in game view? I never see any state labels in game view anyway, possibly because I have the gizmos disabled? (but then why would there be extra draw calls?)