playMaker

Author Topic: Menu (settings, characters, saves)  (Read 2017 times)

Nikmady

• Playmaker Newbie
Menu (settings, characters, saves)
« on: May 24, 2016, 04:19:11 AM »
Help… =\ Tell me please, how I can create menu with settings for my character example(means change character).  Menu for change key-controllers. Menu for graphic settings and etc… and after that, I need apply this settings for all game period.
Maybe someone know good video-tutorial for that =\ please help.

Zeldag

Re: Menu (settings, characters, saves)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 12:14:14 PM »
(Edit to add: a link to a tutorial at end of post)

Hi and welcome to the forum!

There are I'm sure many different ways to do what you want, but it will all depend on your game.

As a noob overall I can summarise my basic overall understanding of how it would work like this:

For the settings menu just make the GUI and set different int value for every option.

In the game just programming it so that things change depending on the chosen int value.

So for example:

In the character selection screen you have 3 characters a,b and c. You make 3 GUI buttons representing the characters. You make a global INT variable callled 'selectedChar'.

When the player clicks on char 'a', the 'selectedChar' variable becomes 1 (by using 'set int value' action). If the player chooses 'b' the variable becomes 2 and 'c' becomes 3.

In the game make a game manager that spawns a different character depending on the 'selected Char' global variable (by using 'int switch' action).

That should be it, mostly...

In the controls settings example, it would be the same thing but you just need to set up all the different control systems possible in your game. Then activate a different control system depending on which int is selected.

I know that this was a very basic summary of it,but I hope it was understandable enough to give you an idea of how you could do it.

Good luck with it!

Edit to add: had a quick search and apparently there does happen to be a tutorial on this:
So you should probably ignore all my rambling and go straight there lol.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:18:42 PM by Zeldag »

Nikmady

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Menu (settings, characters, saves)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 08:55:29 PM »
thx)) i understand idea)