playMaker

Author Topic: Android music game prototype (Rockband/Guitar hero esque)  (Read 4713 times)

Linkinn

• Playmaker Newbie
Android music game prototype (Rockband/Guitar hero esque)
« on: September 21, 2015, 12:12:36 AM »
Hello everyone, my name is Rafael, i'd love to call myself an indie developer, but i dont think iam, iam more to the hobby side.

One of my passion is music games so i've been developing something for a while, i still have a long way to go, but i'll get there, and if i succeed is because of Playmaker, awesome program.

Another thing, i know googleplay have a lot of music games, but i could'nt find a good one so far, they dont calculate BPM changes/time signature changes, their "fretting" is awfull and none have Rockband/GuitarHero .mid support.

Here is a video i took after getting Rockband .mid support, still alot of work to do to get everything working perfectly but most of the work is done.

https://youtu.be/v1udXa4MFVo

My plan is to update this thread for a while, sharing problems and solutions i get during the development, also if you have any ideas feel free to post it. I apologize for any grammar mistakes, english is my second language.

Rafael.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 12:17:05 AM by Linkinn »

santucho4

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Android music game prototype (Rockband/Guitar hero esque)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 02:58:23 PM »
Looks good! ;D

Linkinn

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 04:13:11 PM »
Iam back, have been busy with IRL stuff

I just got bass, guitar and drum perfectly working, it was quite a challenge but in the end its working. Still not a game, its basically a midi interpreter for now. I'll start focusing in gameplay for now, after that probably custom songs support.

I had a problem with Resources Load, so i redid most of my loading ingame songs logic, i think custom songs will be way easier because of Application.persistentDataPath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJGoA0-UUiM
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 11:33:07 AM by Linkinn »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 12:31:18 AM »
The video is private :/

Linkinn

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 01:06:37 AM »
The video is private :/

I changed the url, should work now, thanks for letting me know.

And please dont mind the graphics and the poor video editing (threw the videos together just to show some progress), graphics are place holders as iam focusing on the systems for now.

Rafael.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 01:16:20 AM by Linkinn »

Linkinn

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 10:53:39 PM »
I have some updates that may or may not be helpfull to other people.

So, at first i was testing on editor and PC, fps was fine, was around 300 when i had 2k notes. I was using box colliders and rigidbodies with isKinematic ticked on every note, moving them every frame as i needed to get from point A to point B, until i tested it on android, i used my old Galaxy Tab 3 sm-210(Dual Core 1.2Gh and 1GB ram), 10 fps if i was lucky.

I obviously was'nt happy with the results, rhythm games are supposed to run smooth so you dont have a problem with sync and other stuff. I decided to do my own logic to check if the notes were in the right position to register a hit, i tried it with the action Find closest attached to the keys and checking every frame (the ones in the bottom part of the screen), the result was better, around 30~36fps. But still not good.

Then i had the idea to make the notes static with colliders (static colliders barely affect perfomance), and make the keys and board move, that way i only had to move 5 rigidbodies instead of 2k. The result was awesome, its running 60~65 fps and the number of notes does'nt matter.

More updates to come.

Rafael.

Linkinn

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 09:52:33 PM »
Hi, new video up, basic graphics are done, i'll probably rework some after, i just wanted to have the basic setup so i dont have to remake any gameplay system after iam done with it because of graphic changes.

https://youtu.be/_i1y1ICDhJA

Also got all song difficulties working, for now its easy, medium, hard and pro, for drum i'll probably add another difficulty depending on how i approach drum bass in the future.

In the next few days i'll probably have basic gameplay and all menus done.

If you any ideas, criticism, anything, let me know.

Thanks, Rafael.