playMaker

Author Topic: Prefab/Scene objects changing unexpectantly (Issue 1526)  (Read 1673 times)

MarkD

Prefab/Scene objects changing unexpectantly (Issue 1526)
« on: July 09, 2016, 02:23:08 AM »
Issue 1526

The tl;dr is that I have a long list of identical prefab objects that work perfectly for a while, and then seemingly some assigned variables change to all of the instanced versions while the prefab stays the same.

I filed a bug on this (Issue 1526) but I also wanted to share an image. 

Here's the longer version:

In my scene, I was changing the way objects are loaded in the scene.  Rather than creating them and destroying them I've been converting the process to having them all loaded in the scene, assigned to an array, and then disabled in the scene.  The pool of items in this case is an "acorn".  I loaded the object into the scene by draggin the prefab from the Project folder into the Hierarchy folder.  Then I just copied that prefab abound 30 times and assigned them to my array, then disabled them all.

Everything worked initially, but a few hours later while testing something else, I  happened to test an acorn object again and got a warning/error.  When I looked at the FSM on the acorn object, it was trying to assign itself to a compltely different variable, something that made no sense.  Now, it's possible I could have made an accidental change on a single instance of the acorn, but the change was on all 30 objects in the scene that was working previously. 

I checked the prefab of that object and it set correctly.  It happened earlier today on a different object which is why I looked straight away at the instance of the object vs. the Prefab.  Something had changed that I am nearly 100% sure I didn't change myself. 

2) How can we reproduce it
I hate these types of bugs because they don't have specific steps to reproduce it that I can easily see.