playMaker

Author Topic: Some video tutorial about PUN and playmaker?  (Read 2395 times)

Ateam

Some video tutorial about PUN and playmaker?
« on: July 28, 2016, 04:43:48 PM »
Hi I know , PUN is very easy with the actions of  Playmaker but is very hard at the same time, so I need some video tutorial about PUN and Playmaker. thanks

kavery

Re: Some video tutorial about PUN and playmaker?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 11:00:25 AM »
If you need help with the initial setup like connecting, entering a room and instantiating objects over the network, I would highly recommend easy PUN from the asset store. Use this in tandem with the PM PUN demos. It will save you so much trouble. Then you are mostly left with the other difficulties of setting up your actual sync logic which is no easy feat, depending on your game. You just have to study the crap out of everything, I don't think even a video can make it easier.

Another tip that I wish I knew earlier.. you can actually run 2 instances of the same Unity project so that you can test your game without needing to make a standalone build. This has a lot of benefits - much faster to iterate, and ability to better debug both player scenes. If you or anyone wants directions how to do this I can further explain.

Parapsycho

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 12:25:24 PM »
That would be great, kavery! I'm starting to venture into multiplayer for my project.

Thanks!

kavery

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 03:29:52 PM »
Cool.. here's how I do it:

1) Duplicate your entire project folder.

2) Open both projects. You have to launch projects using the project wizard which usually opens by default. A 2 monitor setup is IDEAL

3) Use a file synchronizer app. For PC I use 'File Synchronizer'. On the left side of the app pick your project for Player 1. On the right side pick Player 2. You only need to sync the Asset folders which is a lot faster than the root. Whenever you make changes to play test, save your main scene.. then hit 'Analyze' in the synchronizer. Use 'show newer files' setting. It will show only the files changed (like prefabs etc). Hit Sync. Now player 2 project is the same as player 1.

4) After syncing Asset folders press play in both editors. Use Player 1 to create and join room. Once entered, hit join for Player 2. It helps to create an in game pause button so that both players will pause when you hit a key (spacebar is great for this). This way you can get precise moments to analyze both sides of the network.

It's easier than it sounds, for me a standalone build was taking 2 minutes. With this it takes about 15 seconds to sync and enter playmode for both players. That keeps things much more sane.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 03:44:34 PM by kavery »

Parapsycho

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 10:09:15 PM »
Awesome! Thanks!

I'll have to try that out when I get my multi-monitor set up going.