playMaker

Author Topic: combining playmaker with other assets  (Read 3434 times)

case3

• Playmaker Newbie
combining playmaker with other assets
« on: August 02, 2016, 02:48:13 AM »
Hi, I was wondering if with playmaker (i have it but I'm still learning) if you can combine using an asset off the Unity asset store with using playmaker? Let's say I download a template but want to add to it is there any way to do it through playmaker? Thanks.

Zeldag

Re: combining playmaker with other assets
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 03:02:18 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forum!

The short answer is that 'Yes, you can'. For most assets all you will need to do is interact with scripts and playmaker is great at that.

It will depend on what the asset is as to how complex it will be to do so. The extent to which you can combine playmaker may depend on your ability to understand the functionality of the other asset.

For some assets this may require you to understand some c#/javascript, but in most cases I find it is enough to understand just a few features of other scripts (like some public variables). Other assets come with a whole bunch of awesome playmaker actions, that make you forget that playmaker is not even a part of unity lol, meaning you dont need to worry about the scripts yourself at all (Here is a list of those ones: https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/?W714 ).

For a good idea of how it will work, you can have a look at this really useful tutorial: (Connecting Scripts to Playmaker)

Good luck with it, hope this helps!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:07:15 AM by Zeldag »

case3

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 09:02:49 PM »
Hi Zeldag, Thanks for the welcome.

Also thank you for the helpful reply. I checked out the link to playmaker actions, I will look into them. I will check out the tutorial next.

My idea needs a base gameplay of either match 3 or like bubble shooter type games, it could work with either. I know there is a basic match 3 template for playmaker in the unity asset store but it only matches 3 objects at any given match, and I'm not sure if re-working it to match all related objects in any given match would be complicated or even possible.

Anyway, thanks.

Zeldag

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 09:56:05 PM »
Hi,

No problem, glad you found it helpful.

Do you mean the 'bug match' starter kit? It should certainly be possible to extend the fsms contained in that asset to do anythingyou need.

Personally though, i would say a better long term solution would be to do some basic playmaker tutorials, then just try to build up your own match 3 setup. It will feel cooler to make the whole game, plus you will know exactly what youve built when it comes time to implement a new feature and to be honest even as a beginner myself I think putting together a match 3 game should not be too difficult (although i hate working with grids and his fsm does look elegant :) )

Also i have sometimes found that starter packs for simple games are not too helpful as to use them effectively you need to study the setup and in the end that can be less productive than building it your way as you will often need to amend things anyway. This may not be the case for really extensive assets, like UFPS or something. But theyre great for studying how someone would setup a particular game.

But yeah sorry for the ramble and to answer your question, yes you can extend the starter pack. Most playmaker starter packs just provide fsms that are setup with playmaker, so you can then edit them as you wish and make them do everything you can with just playmaker without the starter pack.

Good luck with it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 10:18:40 PM by Zeldag »

case3

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 09:53:31 PM »
Hey,

Yeah, that's the kit I was referring to. I agree with what you say, and I think I will start watching/reading more tutorials so that I know the basics and can build upon that.

I actually have a few ideas at the moment, so once I get familiar with playmaker, I think I will try one of my more simple ideas first. My biggest problem isn't coming up with ideas, it's coming up with ones that aren't supper complicated to make.

Well, There is a basics of playmaker course on a tutorial site I subscribe to, so I'll start with that. 

Thanks again.