playMaker

Author Topic: Editor Action Colors  (Read 7029 times)

JKWater

• Playmaker Newbie
Editor Action Colors
« on: September 01, 2016, 10:13:24 AM »
If there were custom colors for individual actions and action categories you will be able to see whats up at a single glance. Be able to organize better. Smoother learning curve visually.

When selecting a state and seeing a long list of actions, especially in an initialize state, can be a little overwhelming and may take some time to wrap your head round it all and focus, it's hard to see if everything is there or if anything is needed.

Even though I have experience with FSMs I am still kinda new with Playmaker at this point, I feel that even renaming an action is still hard to read with the current colors.

Also adding some color to variable categories would be awesome too.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 11:27:07 AM by JKWater »

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Editor Action Colors
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 02:06:55 PM »
Are you picturing default colors for certain actions, maybe by category? Or the ability to set an action's color in the State Inspector?

This has been requested quite often, so would like to get more details on how people would like it to work...

JKWater

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 03:44:36 PM »
Colors by action category would be great (maybe we have a choice to override the default colors in preferences.)

I think in the state inspector should reflect the color in that actions category somehow. Either the color filling up the entire action's background or just the title.

The ability to set an action's color in the state inspector (overriding that action's default color, maybe to a different shade of blue) would be good also, but have it as an option for the user.

JKWater

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 10:18:45 AM »
In terms of the text of variable category titles in the Variables inspector, if color is not possible (maybe even as a straight streak of color going across the titles text area) could we have an option to increase the size and boldness?
As the boldness and size is too similar to actual variables. Especially if the variable has capitals it can be bigger than that variable's category making it very hard to see the title quickly.

I know these will become clearer the more you use Playmaker, but I still think some change in look in this visual scripting asset will increase work speed in long lists of variables and actions. :)

Champ

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 01:35:15 AM »
I can see it working well by combining colour settings with the "Comments" action.

Being able to use colour to soft group a bunch of actions together can work well to split up, sometimes pretty long action sequences residing in the same state. And having a comments action controlling the colour provides a header we can use to ...well comment the logic.

The way I'm seeing it working, is the Comments action can change the colour of all actions below it, until the next Comments action, next frame event action or wait action.

I think only the action title should have the colour change, not the background, so to avoid legibility issues.

I have concerns about having different colours based on the category the action belongs to, as i often use actions from a bunch of different categories to achieve a result, and it will just become a rainbow of colours, while still keeping the logic blocks hidden.

Edit 1: attached some mockup images

Actually after mocking it up, having the action backgrounds change colour as well, doesn't look too bad

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 04:29:47 PM by Champ »

bradbecker

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Editor Action Colors - or Icons
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 11:40:15 AM »
Another variation on this is to have Icons for the Action categories (animation, UGUI, etc.). The icons could use colors similarly. This is also better for those who are colorblind since they get the shape of the icon even if they can't distinguish the colors.

human890209

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 02:20:29 AM »
I can see it working well by combining colour settings with the "Comments" action.

Being able to use colour to soft group a bunch of actions together can work well to split up, sometimes pretty long action sequences residing in the same state. And having a comments action controlling the colour provides a header we can use to ...well comment the logic.

The way I'm seeing it working, is the Comments action can change the colour of all actions below it, until the next Comments action, next frame event action or wait action.

I think only the action title should have the colour change, not the background, so to avoid legibility issues.

I have concerns about having different colours based on the category the action belongs to, as i often use actions from a bunch of different categories to achieve a result, and it will just become a rainbow of colours, while still keeping the logic blocks hidden.

Edit 1: attached some mockup images

Actually after mocking it up, having the action backgrounds change colour as well, doesn't look too bad

Yeah, I wish that, too! Color+ Comment Action.
Cause I'm doing a lot of Finish Ending State to make that happen now.
Actually I'm using State Color and Name to do that job. And It makes the graph big!

It will be great to have HIERARCHY structure of actions in the editor!
eg: Make Some Actions children of a Comment Actions, so we could just collapse them to make more space for the working ones. ;D

stvbabb

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 02:45:34 PM »
I know this is an older topic, but there are some great ideas here. Were there any updates?

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 04:34:01 PM »
The next update will have category icons, used in both the Action Browser and in the Action titlebar. Next up will be Grouping in the graph view, but maybe in the State Inspector too, so will play with colors...

stvbabb

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 04:40:05 PM »
 :)  :)

I can't tell you how awesome that is!!! I can't wait for the next update - it's going to be huge! Anyway, thanks for the preview!

I also think doing stuff like that is really nice for new users and old users alike. Playmaker is an amazing piece of software and I think these kinds of UX improvements go a long way.

Cheers,
Steve
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 05:02:28 PM by stvbabb »

escpodgames

• Assets
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 11:09:14 PM »
@Alex Chouls - Grouping in the graph view!?!? any more info on how that would work (exciting!!)

siumanchunandy

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 05:13:37 PM »

I Like Editor Action Colors ! please Variables also add Colors Setting !   :)

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 11:22:16 AM »
Yeah, I do like the idea of combining the color UI with the Comment action... maybe also add a new Divider action that has no parameters but can be used to put a divider in the stack, and also optionally a color for following actions...

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 03:16:50 AM »
Hi,

yep, a customizable divider/comment would be great indeed!

Bye,

Jean