playMaker

Author Topic: Unity Networking Progress  (Read 2452 times)

Morisato

• Playmaker Newbie
Unity Networking Progress
« on: September 16, 2016, 08:10:51 PM »
Just wondering if there is an ETA for the release of the Unity 5 Networking (Not the legacy code)? I noticed a post from March that an admin had responded to, but not since.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Unity Networking Progress
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 04:40:14 AM »
Hi,

Not much since then, It's just not a viable solution just yet unfortunatly ( have you checked the prices on your dashboard?), so focus is on other jobs for PlayMaker. but do get the latest from the given links, I updated today to use the latest PlayMaker utils and the latest fixed inside unet and san.

Bye,

Jean

Morisato

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 10:35:05 AM »
I'm confused as to what you mean by checking prices on my dashboard... Unity's Networking is free if you aren't using matchmaking. If you connect to your friends game via IP (like minecraft did before) there is nothing to pay for. But it is fine, thanks for the reply.

Also yes, I was talking about uNet (Unity's built in networking solution). I will just make some custom actions if need be then. :)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 12:46:39 PM »
Hi,

Ok, yes, in your case you'll be fine indeed. I just wanted to make sure you did not jumped into Unet without being aware of the costs if you'd be running typical multi players games.

Likely all the custom actions you need are already in the packages on Github. So I would check them out before writing custom actions that are available already.

Bye,

Jean

Morisato

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 03:00:22 AM »
Oh okay, thanks for the heads up! It would have indeed have taken a bit to write my own custom actions. Am I correct in assuming all of these custom actions from GitHub can be accessed through Unity using the Ecosystem plugin?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 04:51:20 AM »
Hi,

not yet on the Ecosystem no, as I want to gain more experience first before getting questions on it, because I will and I am not sure I'll be able to be of great help :)

So for now, it's a for how wants to dig into it in the knowledge that we won't be able to give you much help... Your feedback will be very welcomed in order to make progress in the right directions for uNet. But as far as I am concerned, this isn't my solution of choice for networking ( yet, maybe future version of unet will be easier to work with, I hope)

Bye,

Jean