playMaker

Author Topic: Unity Bitcoin Wallet!  (Read 18182 times)

PolyMad

Unity Bitcoin Wallet!
« on: October 30, 2016, 01:28:03 PM »
OK so I want to be the first to make a Unity Bitcoin Wallet.
As I am not a programmer, I'm asking here what would be the problems arising in doing something like this.
I am planning to use a solid and already well tested API for this, like Coinbase's one or Blockchain's one in example.
What is the opinion of you coding masters?
Is it possible to do something like this using PlayMaker?
Is there anyone that would help me here on the forum with the creation of PlayMaker actions bind to the API?

The plan is to build a wallet with 3D visuals, where models and textures can be downloaded as themes, changing the aspect of the whole application.
This would be the first in its genre at the moment.
I don't know how much success it could have, but I have time to give it a try.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 01:36:00 PM by megmaltese »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Unity Bitcoin Wallet!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 02:57:26 PM »
Hi,

Yes, indeed PlayMaker can be used for this, and yes it will require custom actions to do this. Providing a straight support for the rest api isn't a problem. I personally did this many times over. This isn't where you'll hit trouble.

You'll hit trouble in understanding how to deal with it once you have access to it. Giving a quick glance at the api, you'll see that it goes on and on on features.

So be prepare for spending most of your time figuring out how to work with it and provide a solid experience for the end users.

If no one steps in to offer their help, get back to me, I'll take a close look at this.

Bye,

Jean

PolyMad

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 03:25:47 PM »
Hi, thank you for your availability!

Having no experience in such things, I guess I'll just create a very simple wallet with basic functions.
First of all because I want it to be useable by anyone, and second because the less stuff is in, the less problems/bugs have to be spotted.

To have a working wallet, the following functions are enough:
  • new address generation
  • pay to address
This would already work as money could be received and sent, so we'd have a working model to start with.

But a basic Bitcoin Wallet today wouldn't be of any use without the following functions:
  • PIN confirmation when sending a payment so to prevent spending in case the smartphone is stolen
  • QR code reading to send payment (needs interaction with camera...)
  • QR code generation for receiving payments (need to generate QR code on a texture... I already worked with texture generation on the fly in the past, so I can do this, but I need the code to generate the binary to put on the texture)
  • wallet backup
  • wallet restore

Today, a wallet where you must copy/paste the address is already cut out, nobody would use it.
People are (rightly) spoiled with QR codes, so this function will have to be put in when we will release even the first version, and I guess for QR codes we probably need another API.

For all the other functions (or most of them) I think the Coinbase or Blockchain APIs should do, or we'll have to build them ourselves.

I have no idea of how cryptography encoding works, I only know how it works theoretically but I have never dug deep into it, so also the PIN feature will need some learning I guess.

Sooo, I'll start with a proof of concept now so you'll see what I want to do and we have a starting point.

Of course if you help me with this you will take your share.
I was thinking to go with the usual economic model of banner version and no banners paid version, I think it's the best way to go today.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 03:28:59 PM by megmaltese »

PlaymakerNOOB

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 10:46:17 AM »
as a bitcoiner, its nice to see other people contributing to its ecosystem.   

I suggest starting off on test net.  there are some free testnet faucets for free test bitcoins.  Then when the project is done just switch to main net and your good to go.  Or heck, leave it and give your wallet main net and test net functionality.  Thats something I havent seen yet in a mobile wallet.

PolyMad

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 11:08:04 AM »
Uuuuhhh... I changed my idea and won't be working on this.
I examined the project deeper and found that it doesn't make sense to do it, or at least, I can't see any purpose in it, apart visuals.
The problem with this is that money is serious issue, and people don't want much of visuals, but they want to be sure their money will stay safe, and transfers are easy to do.
Unity adds another layer of complexity to an already new and complex matter, and additionally there's plenty offers on the market already, there are so many wallets, that some, even though they are good, they were downloaded just in small numbers.
I think this would be a waste of effort.

So I redirected my efforts to the creation of a semi-gambling game based on Bitcoin: it's sort of an evolution of Pachinko, a popular game in Japan.
I'll still need to implement the basic functions of a Bitcoin wallet in it, to receive and deliver money when the user buys or wins, but I won't be burdened by all those additional features such as QR codes, backup, passwords, etc. I will only need to implement the commands to transfer funds.
I plan to devolve part of the income to poor people around the world somehow. I would like to give to young boys and girls especially, because I think they will be the first that will make use of Bitcoin for real as a mean of exchange and not so much as for investment or trading. Also, receiving even a small quantity of Bitcoin, could become for them a good fortune, if the Bitcoin value will skyrocket like I expect.