playMaker

Author Topic: Why is it so complicated to just move a player in its forward axis using playmak  (Read 2950 times)

ashwin782

• Playmaker Newbie
hi,

I cant put in words how frustrated I am trying to make playmaker do this simple task!

When my player comes near the final gold coin to collect ,and enters a spherical trigger zone around the coin , I want the player to automatically jump and pick the coin [as to show his happiness]. 

Now, my situation is this , that the player will start running and jumps ,[jump is a humanoid animation that makes him jump] but the player stops moving forward when the jump animation starts! . So, I am trying to make the player move forward and upward using lerp , so that it runs simultaneously along with the jump animation.

But, this simple task of trying to move the player forward has left me depressed with the use of playmaker. Neither there are any good tutorials nor forum answers explaining  how to do this !.

I have tried all the below things , but failed in one way or another.
1.tried using 'translate' action + 'lerp float' action  , works fine with x and z axis , but for some crazy reason , y axis nothing happens[ tried disabling rigid body on player and all, still nothing !]

2. tried 'set position' action. Works fine , but i Dont know how to do translate.forward . The player character just moves to new position without regard to the orientation!!!

If its so difficult to get this small thing  done in playmaker  and with not much support from forum or tutorial videos and wasting 1 week[ 8 hrs x7 = 56 hours on this one issue  .... i am drained tired and beginning to regret buying playmaker .. :(  . any help will be highly appreciated :(

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Hi,
If its so difficult to get this small thing  done in playmaker  and with not much support from forum or tutorial videos and wasting 1 week[ 8 hrs x7 = 56 hours on this one issue  .... i am drained tired and beginning to regret buying playmaker .. :(  . any help will be highly appreciated :(

1st off all this is only your 3th post and your first 2 posts got replied the same day...
Being so negative won't help you at all...

Now, you can find a lot of tutorials here
Be sure to check out the users tutorial wiki page

For your problem, is the player inside a empty parent gameobject?
from what you say it seems that the problem is the animation.

Try making an empty object, drop in your player and set your movements on the new parent empty object.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Hi,

Yes, I think you need to radically change your approach to all of this, I think maybe you are putting too much pressure on yourself and you get frustrated as a result.

We are here to help, but you need to answer our questions to be able to move forward, else of course this will get very frustrating this way. It's not very fair to have a go at this great community for no real reasons. There are tons of videos and tutorials, but indeed it requires time and effort to watch all of them, and learn from them to be able to extrapolate and progress in your own development.

As Djaydino mentionned, I do also believe your character setup might conflict with what you want to achieve. Your description of player stopping when jumping is typically of animation issues, not related to PlayMaker per say, but actually how your animations where created, and how you work with them inside Unity. If your jump animation in place or moving? how do you move your player? is it also an animation that is in place and manually move the player or the animation has the forward movement itself.

If you don't have experience with Unity, it is of course twice as hard to get what you want to achieve because you need to learn both Unity and PlayMaker. So maybe you should also watch as many Unity tutorials as you can, especially around working with Animator and animations. I would simply get as many samples as I can in PlayMaker, watch how character behaves and then learn from this and try to modify it or recreate it, it may not be exactly what you want as is, but by learning how to do at least on type of character movement, you will gain experience which will be important when you want to start doing your own character movements.

Also check out the Asset store, it has many projects done in PlayMaker with characters, maybe on eof them is what you need like:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/31139
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11892

Bye, and don't forget, we are here to help :)

Jean