playMaker

Author Topic: Newbie here. How do I learn Playmaker?  (Read 4689 times)

pocket3d

• Playmaker Newbie
Newbie here. How do I learn Playmaker?
« on: May 23, 2017, 03:05:56 AM »
From what i read in the manual and saw in tutorial videos, as a beginner at first..it seems intimidating. Is there a simple tutorial that will get me up to speed on how everything works?   I'm planning to make a First Person game, with enemies who have AI. When i walk by, some may ignore me, some may start chasing me and attacking.  Sort of like that.

I also want to incorporate Random numbers for many things including enemies doing stuff at random times or deciding on things but from what i read i couldn't see any way to count Random amount of time.

anyways :) If anyone can help :)

tcmeric

• Beta Group
Re: Newbie here. How do I learn Playmaker?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 04:09:43 AM »
I would follow through the tutorials, even if they dont seem to be what you want. They teach you the foundations of how to use playmaker.

To generate random amounts of time, you can use the "random int" action, and save it to a int variable. Then use that variable in the "wait" action. 1 = 1 second.

I have a simple tutorial about actions/events/states:
There is a tutorial on udemy about FPS and playmaker, but I would still do the basic playmaker tutorials first, even they don't seem to apply. First few at least. Especially learning about states, events, actions and triggers.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 04:28:57 AM »

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 08:08:18 AM »
Hi,
You can also find many tutorials on the User Tutorial wiki page

pocket3d

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 08:28:48 AM »
Thanks everybody. I'm looking through some of the tutorials. :) It's a bit difficult because i get confused with the many things and windows and Actions, Events, and so on. There seems to be a lot.  But i'll go slowly at my pace

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 02:32:16 PM »
Start out slow. Make a cube. Get a property, store it into a variable then tweak that variable to see what that property does.

Move the cube then make the controls for moving the cube. Make another cube and make it move on its own. Try creating some more cubes when you press the button. Then make that cubes move and destroy other cubes when they touch them.

By then you will already know how to continue :)
Available for Playmaker work