playMaker

Author Topic: Enter a name on the PS4  (Read 4891 times)

NinjaX

• XCO is the ULTIMATE IOS Ninja!!
    • XCOGAMES
Enter a name on the PS4
« on: May 31, 2017, 11:57:23 PM »
May I ask how one would enter a player name using PlayMaker for the PS4 ?

So what I am trying to do is give people the ability to name their Characters. I assume I than save it as a PlayerPrefsString ? But am Not sure how to do it and how to get the Keyboard on the PS4 to work with it and than have it display using UNITY 5.5 ugui ?

I would very much appreciate a little help. Thank you so much. :)
XCO is the ULTIMATE IOS Ninja, Beware for he sees Everything and Nothing all at once!

Ofonna

Re: Enter a name on the PS4
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 10:51:11 PM »
i believe all you have to do is just use and input field, the ps4 will automatically detect when the player is about to type the character's name.
have you tried this?

NinjaX

• XCOGAMES
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 11:58:29 PM »
I have never tried this feature before. May I ask for a lil help bro ? Can you give a lil example of what to do ?

:)
XCO is the ULTIMATE IOS Ninja, Beware for he sees Everything and Nothing all at once!

Ofonna

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 01:28:00 PM »
sure!,

create an empty object - add an fsm to it - create another state - then use the action "get input field text" - store it in a variable - then use "set player prefs string" type any key e.g Player_name - then use the variable from the input text field - go to events (beside state) - type and event and click the small check box to make it global - add transition to your new state and select the global event.

go to create - UI - input field -> you'll see an input field on screen.
click on the gameobject (input field) edit what ever you like there. then scroll down

you'll see "on end edit". click the plus button - drag your gameobject with the global event fsm - hit the litlle function button - select "send event" from the drop down - type the global event you created.

NinjaX

• XCOGAMES
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 04:32:07 PM »
sure!,

create an empty object - add an fsm to it - create another state - then use the action "get input field text" - store it in a variable - then use "set player prefs string" type any key e.g Player_name - then use the variable from the input text field - go to events (beside state) - type and event and click the small check box to make it global - add transition to your new state and select the global event.

go to create - UI - input field -> you'll see an input field on screen.
click on the gameobject (input field) edit what ever you like there. then scroll down

you'll see "on end edit". click the plus button - drag your gameobject with the global event fsm - hit the litlle function button - select "send event" from the drop down - type the global event you created.

SUPER Thank You my man for taking the time to help me. I am having a bit of a hard time understanding this though. I've never input a name before.

So here is how my game is set up. And maybe you can help me understand a little bit more.

I have a menu for my Character creation mode. And the 1st button on the top is where I have the "NAME" of that Character.

So what I would like to happen is, for people to PRESS the "X" button and than that will activate the KEYBOARD - You Type the name and it stores it as a Sting Variable and Than Displays it where "NAME" is on that 1st Button on my MENU :)

So say I have a state that Just has a "GET KEY DOWN" on it and from there when you press the "X" key it goes into another state and than makes the Keyboard come up so you can type the name.

So when I go to this state what should happen ? Should there be a Get input field text in that state ? Im sorry I'm so confused lol 

Ofonna

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 02:19:26 AM »
lol when you move to the next state after the button press, you should activate the input field, it depends on your design, i'm going to show you a quick set up.

*update*
get u gui proxy in the ecosystem,
first state - get keydown (x button)

second state - activate game object (input field), submit event and store text in variable

third state - set player prefs string to store it even when the game is turned off

whenever you want to reuse it just use the action "player prefs get string"
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:59:37 AM by Carmichael »

Ofonna

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 03:01:24 AM »
submit player name

Ofonna

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 03:02:34 AM »
store player name

NinjaX

• XCOGAMES
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 12:43:51 AM »
store player name

Thank You so much bro, I guess the real issue I am having is getting the PS4 keyboard up which was throwing me off. But I dont think you can help me with that. BUT SUPER TY for this my man! You are above and beyond awesome :D :D

Ofonna

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 09:16:30 PM »
haha no problem, I literally just realized your exact problem, sorry for that, i dont know how you can select the input field in order to type the name, you would need to test it....i'm going to test it when i'm free to see if it works. maybe tomorrow.

Ofonna

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 08:12:57 PM »
heyy man, i got it to work, all you have to do is use the action down("U Gui Set Selected Game Object") below, it enables the event system to select the input field. i believe the ps4 will then be informed that you're about to type something. you need the input mapping too for the ps4, get keydown "Button 1"  :D goodluck
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 01:47:43 PM by Carmichael »