playMaker

Author Topic: Groupable States - Please implement sooner than later!  (Read 2770 times)

Macol90

• Playmaker Newbie
Groupable States - Please implement sooner than later!
« on: June 09, 2017, 03:35:33 PM »
When my FSMs get big and complicated I'd like to put my States into expandable groups.

I've seen this in other visual scripting options. My wish is to be able to have global Transitions flagged at the top of the group, labeled events the noodles are being fed into/out of, and visible comments within the Graph View.

Thank you for this amazing scripting tool!  I'm looking forward to future updates!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Groupable States - Please implement sooner than later!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 02:41:58 AM »
Hi,

Yes, this grouping is likely to be a feature soon implemented.

Bye,

Jean

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 06:26:21 AM »
Hi,
Indeed many are requesting this,
i hope it will also have the feature to place templates in it, which would make it even more powerful.

For example if you would have different enemies,
the basic stuff you could place in the template (for all enemies) and then connect enemy specific actions.

Macol90

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 06:51:03 PM »
It's been nearly a year and this hasn't been implemented...  This isn't a deal breaker of course, but there are so many times in the last year I've wished I had the option to group states!

It's been a while, but I seem to remember Houdini had some really cool ideas when it came to creating inputs/outputs to their grouped nodes. It was all very visual and only took a glance to figure out what nodes did. I believe there was an option to create templates out of the groups and drag and drop them into new networks.

I've been using Amplify Shader and there's nulls that users can use to pin the noodles. This is so helpful! I've created a couple huge networks in Amplify, it definitely isn't as truncated as Playmaker, and those pinning nulls are absolutely necessary.

Thanks again for this great Asset! I've been using node based software for a while and Playmaker felt familiar and easy to use from day one!

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 03:08:31 AM »
Hi.
As far as i know Alex is working on implementing this.
But i also know that it has a lot of impact on how the PlayMaker system works, so many things probably has to be rewritten.
and unity updated doesn't help speeding up the process :)

But it's coming :D