PlayMaker News > General Discussion

Why Playmaker and not Bolt

<< < (2/10) > >>

shadowof047:
Having used both of them I can assure you of these facts :
1- Playmaker is ALOT more user-friendly once you get the hang of it .

2- Bolt is ALOT less user-friendly when you use it and not seeing it from afar !

3- what took me 30 second in playmaker to do , took me about 5 minuets to do in Bolt , because most actions in playmaker are a collection of code , but you should do everything in bolt yourself .

4-In bolt , there is this thing called "super Unit" which essentially mimics a function call, which you can assign input/output to . it substancially helps you not to repeat your code , which unfortunately playmaker cant do .

5-In bolt , there is saved variables , which makes process of saving very easy.

6-Fuzzy finder in Bolt is a MESS ! 50% of the time , even if you know the exact name of the node , it wont find it for you .  so you should navigate where it is manually which takes alot of time .

7-Bolt tries to introduce itself as blueprint for unity . Having used blueprint and kismet for many years , i say it is the farthest thing from blueprint in unreal.(sidenote : Blueprint is the undisputeable king of visual scripting)

8- i never understood what they mean by "Native Feel " !?

9- In Bolt , there is a window for variables , one for input/output.where the hell should i dock all that ?!

tcmeric:
I only played with bolt shortly, but with bolt it is visual coding. Ie, it still feels like you need to code. You still need to understand unity API to know what you want to do. You are just puting together your code without writing words.

Playmaker is different. So far I have no desire to change to bolt.

Many playmaker actions are more like code snippets. They execute more than one line of code per state.

I also have learned how to code c# because of playmaker (although I am still a beginner). It doesnt take too much coding skill to integrate (most) third party assets into playmaker with your own playmaker actions. 9 times out of 10, its just figuring out which method to call, or which variable you want to set or get. That being said, its mostly optional. Many people here have made tons of games without learning c#, using playmaker.

verybinary:
I, personally, have no intention of even trying bolt. Playmaker has done everything I've wanted it to, and how I've wanted to do it since Unity 3.(4?).
I've briefly looked at bolt, and I'm not impressed. It looks to me, similar to Unitys animation nodes(which I couldn't see easily working with a large project) Playmaker works perfectly with the way I think. I would have to learn how to think differently to try anything else, and no. With Playmaker, I can look at my "spaghetti" and know exactly how it does what it does. I recently opened one of my "first ever" incomplete projects. My FSM building has soooo matured, but I was never confused about what it did. Extremely inefficient, but I knew it worked, and I knew how it worked.
So yeah. I can't really say anything about bolt, but I'll say everything I can about Playmaker

jeanfabre:
Hi,

@tcmeric makes a very good point, PlayMaker is not a visual scripting as such, it is first and foremost a new way to think logic, Bolt is more a direct replacement of a code of line which really brings nothing on the table because indeed you need to learn conventional coding to understand Bolt.

PlayMaker Action as indeed code snippets which allows to combine several features into one convenient interface for optimal usage and reusability, like lego blocks asn as such offers far more potential as is and even greater power when you start to combine both PlayMaker and Conventional coding. With Bolt, it would not bring any benefits.

Bye,

Jean

MostHated:
Hey there, sorry to bring up an old thread but I stumbled across it while searching for something and wanted to ask about Multiplayer. I see you said it is well integrated with Photon, what if I am using uMMO2? What benefits does it offer in terms of multiplayer in general? I am not 100% sure what all Playmaker could do for me, but I am interested in finding out. I am making an RPG, what are some of the modules / things that Playmaker might be able to offer my game?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version