playMaker

Author Topic: Unity Asset Madness Sale?  (Read 7506 times)

cb

• Junior Playmaker
Unity Asset Madness Sale?
« on: May 24, 2012, 04:46:16 AM »
Hi,
Looking to getting a Visual Editor after my current project is finished and really like the look of Playmaker. Just wondering if PM will feature in the Unity Asset Store Madness sale ? Or any plans to release a less expensive Indie version, which I'm sure I saw mentioned before?

cb

(p.s wasn't sure where to post this message!)

Disastercake

• www.disastercake.com
    • Disastercake
Re: Unity Asset Madness Sale?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 10:53:48 AM »
My personal opinion is that Playmaker is plenty cheap for what you get from it.

I'd be struggling a lot further back with my game if it wasn't for Playmaker's flowchart to help me visualize and Alex and Jean's support on this forum.
Soul Saga - Anime themed adventure RPG by Disastercake

http://www.disastercake.com

FractalCore

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 06:22:12 PM »
I agree, it's damn cheap. When I look at where I was before Playmaker, I was just dabbling with Unity. No Programmer knowledge what-so-ever here. But now I can seriously look at producing a game, with still no idea how to program. I'd pay 5-10 times what it's going for... Now that I know how good it is.

Maybe that's the thing, people need a demo version. Something with limited functionality, 10 actions, Only 3 (non-global) variables. No time limit. Just enough to let someone follow a tutorial then play with the different ways to combine those actions. Let them feel what it's like to come up with a crazy thing to try, try it and have it work perfectly first time. Once they see how easy it is, try and stop them from buying it!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 01:12:19 AM »
hi,

I agree with fractal core, and actually tend to think event further,

it's that good that I think playmaker as is should be the entry point!, and that a more productive, for large complex projects version should be made available as say $300 or $400, with the ability to create your own action gui ( I mean totally define the way an action look and what we show), open the api some more ( ability to listen to event in scripts for example, and tight script variables with Fsm variables, have more productive tools ( like having multiple fsm opened), having nested Fsms, more powerful inter fsm communication, the ability to work with enums, and reference any classes. the ability use svn for the Fsm content, etc etc there are a lot of feature that I would love to have, but I appreciate playmaker needs an easy entry point, so I would prone a pro version instead of a demo version currently. Unlikely to happen tho :) because it seems the asset store clientele doesn't like anything above $150 for some odd reasons... Also I totally appreciate that for indie developers a free demo would be very welcomed, but It should be very limited, just to get a feel, with a very clear constraint that prevent the use of the free version for actual production, else this is the end of playmaker...

Bye,

Jean

cb

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 03:27:44 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. Just like to say that I agree with all the points made. Playmaker is a great price, and I'll probably be getting it in 2-3 weeks, once I have time to get into it. Just wanted to be sure that there wouldn't be a price drop in the next week or so and I missed it, like the April one ::)

Thing is, the Asset Store is a fantastic source for Unity designers, there's so much stuff in there I'd like to get. So it's not like Unity dropping to $47 and me thinking 'Oooh, half price, I could buy it and spend the rest on beer!' (and believe me that is unusual for me). It's more like 'Oooh, another 40+ dollars to spend in the Asset Store'. Addictive stuff.

But yes, I'm ok with the price, though there an Indie version was mentioned so I just wanted to clear that up. Also, an evaluation version would be good, one with a well written walk-through tutorial to build, for example, a Space Invaders/simple Pacman game and containing just enough Playmaker features to complete this.
Here's hoping.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 03:50:52 AM »
hi,

Evaluation version is key yes, this would allow people to see for themselves the goods. I would imaging a version where every thing made by the full version works ( so that trialist can look at more involving work without compromise), only not editable, and you can for example only create 5 Fsm per project or per scene, so much variable or so much events, which is enough to play around and get a fill for it, while ensuring the trial version would not be biased and used for production. Something like that.

Bye,

Jean

cb

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 05:01:23 AM »
Hi Jean,

Yes, that sounds good to me. Limited FSM's and possibly a watermark? Could a trial version maybe limit the development to building an app with no more than 30 polygons? Enough to test it out with a few trusty old Unity cubes  but not enough to build a major game with.
Not sure if that would be possible, but a trial version would be very popular.

cb

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 05:15:30 PM »
Aargh, you see! Bought it and 4 days later half price >:( >:(
Only just started using it a couple of days ago and love it..but...one of these days I'll get a sales bargain...*sighs*

Horror

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 10:46:36 PM »
Haha, really? I can't check because the Asset Store seems to be exploding.

Honestly though, for the full price I paid a few weeks ago, I'm very happy with playMaker so far. Developing a game by myself has gone from a dream to something that (I think) is actually going to happen.

I'd be more pissed off if I bought a full license for Unity and then they dropped the price by a few hundred dollars.

yezzer

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 07:35:57 AM »
I'd be more pissed off if I bought a full license for Unity and then they dropped the price by a few hundred dollars.

FWIW, when that happens, Unity generally refund the difference if you've bought recently.
Freelance games & App developer using Unity3D, Flash & Adobe AIR for web, iOS, & Android. Interested in AR & other emerging tech.
@yezzer