playMaker

Author Topic: The right way to buy?  (Read 5995 times)

TheLegend

• Playmaker Newbie
The right way to buy?
« on: December 29, 2017, 03:15:48 PM »
Hey, little question.

If i go to Store here on page i see this:
First Picture 56,38 €

But if i want to pay with paypal i see PayPal-Kaufabwicklung 77,35 USD in unity asset store i see $65..whats wrong? 3 different prices for the same tool?

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: The right way to buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 04:11:11 PM »
Both stores should charge sales tax/VAT as required. The price should be the same by the time you checkout - if not let us know! There might be a slight difference depending on the exchange rate each store uses. Our site uses the Fastspring storefront, a standard e-commerce platform.

The main reasons to buy from our site instead of the Asset Store:
- We offer an educational discount for qualifying students/educators.
- We offer bulk discounts if you're buying many seats.
- If you can't access the Asset Store where you are.

Buying from the Asset Store lets you update and import from the Asset Store Download Manager inside Unity. If you buy from our site you receive a download link and you'll get email notifications of updates.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 04:13:08 PM by Alex Chouls »

TheLegend

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 09:23:08 AM »
Do not get me wrong, please!
Where are you obliged to tax? Do you also have the German 19%? How do you transfer 19% from abroad to the German tax office? As far as I know, that's not possible. I hate to pay more.

According Storefront it costs 56,16 €. Currently that would be 67.4183952 US dollars

In addition come control, where I do not know where to go ... Overall it would be then
Order summary
Items (1):
$ 65.00
VAT:
$ 12.35
Order Total:
$ 77.35

In the end I have to pay instead of € 56.16 then 64.433097 euros. Find the price difference not insignificant.

So I do not know where to go 11.2583952 € at the end I have to pay as a German more than if I give an American address.

I do not want to annoy anyone, I just want to understand it.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 02:42:08 AM »
Hi,

I also noticed this on many other assets, I agree this is putting people off... and yes depending on where you are you will pay less...

Go for where it's the least expensive...

Bye,

Jean

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 11:31:18 PM »
To be clear, Hutong Games doesn't collect any taxes. The Asset Store and Fastspring stores handle that for all sellers. They determine the sales tax based on the region, regulations etc. and submit any taxes collected to the appropriate authorities. Technically they are resellers - they buy from us and sell through their storefronts, handling the transactions (different payment methods, exchange rates, taxes etc.).

I have no idea what we would have to do if doing it all ourselves - I researched it for a bit but got nowhere. Some people sell direct through PayPal and don't collect taxes, but they might get stuck with a huge tax bill down the line. Depends who you talk to. Anyway, it seems like most legit companies add local taxes, so we use a storefront that handles that for us.

Hope that makes sense. I can't answer specific questions about taxes in one country or another because it's all a black box to us! We pay the storefront so we don't have to figure it all out!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 11:33:08 PM by Alex Chouls »

drown

• Junior Playmaker
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 10:51:43 AM »
That has been the case since they updated the AssetStore to the new beta. I am German myself and alot of Online stores seem to ignore the fact that you have to advertise a price "as is" or clearly indicate that it is not the full price. I have to admit that I do not know about how this applies to stores that are not located in Germany, it might be a different regulation there, but stepping back from doing it before sure seems like a step backward.

So as far as I know : they show you the tax at checkout page and not at the storefront which is a grey area by german law. Usually you have to adress taxes BEFORE the checkout process or at least indicate that the price is not the final price. Everything else would count as unfair marketing as you make the product seem cheaper as it actually is if you sell products online in Germany.

Here is the product page on the old page:

And here it is on the new beta (misleading) :

I have

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 01:22:37 AM »
Hi,

Unfortunatly, It's nothing HutongGames can do and you should enquiry to the Unity asset store directly to get an overview of what's going on. HutongGames doesn't have two distinct versions of PlayMaker on the asset store, the price is regulated by the Asset store. Maybe the new asset store detectes the region of your computer differently than the old asset store and it would explain the different price tag.

I would simply go for where it's cheaper, that's it.

Bye,

Jean