playMaker

Author Topic: closed user open forum  (Read 7334 times)

kiriri

closed user open forum
« on: May 29, 2012, 09:21:43 AM »
I was wondering, would it be possible to have a forum section in which we could actually share our scenefiles openly? That would give us the ability to for example share entire FSMs with each other or alternatively there could be small open source competitions which would help everyone to get a firmer grasp of playmaker by looking at each others scene files.

the section could be visible/accessible to approved members only, so we won't have to worry about others ripping our playmaker version.
I feel like this is needed because I seriously can't share my hard work with anyone directly, unless I'm part of a team.
Best,
Sven

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: closed user open forum
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:21:09 AM »
hi,

As far as I am concerned, If you want to share sensitive work, I'd sign a nda. I almost only working under these conditions anyway.

I think you should actually set up a small group on google for example and open on this forum a thread to join this group, that would work I think, because who would be responsible for selecting members? that would not be a very objective way, some people with not a lot of activities on this forum can ( and most likely are in many cases) be far more knowledgeable and experienced than very active members, so on what bases would someone define who can be part of this group better than the owner of that particular project.

Bye,

Jean

kiriri

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 11:20:53 AM »
mhm, my main concern was that I wouldn't like to share my scene files and then have my copy of playmaker pirated, in case there is any identification on it, which would get me sewed :S . So I thought it might be nice to have a part of the forum which is only accessible to users that are valid playmaker buyers. In other terms, noone who hasn't bought a copy of playmaker should get his hands on mine. But if you don't mind people sharing their entire projects publicly, I wouldn't mind either :D

EDIT: or can people just share scenefiles with each other, put them into their own project, and the FSMs will work there too? then this entire thread is rubbish and I am sorry for being a bother :S
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 11:32:10 AM by kiriri »
Best,
Sven

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 01:22:35 PM »
ah ok, I see :)

Simply take out the dll of the package you want to send and all will be well.

also don't forget to export the globals ( if you do have global vars or events in your scene), it's on the playmaker menu under "tools"

Bye,

Jean

kiriri

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 03:49:28 PM »
gee, that was surprisingly simple. Then all I've got left is to find a way to convert this somewhat static community into something dynamic, so I can convince everyone that we do need Playmaker competitions :D.
We really do!

Cheers!
Best,
Sven

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 04:13:09 PM »
playmaker competition would be good yes :) as I ported them m2h games, I really had fun with them, and I think such competition could provide all assets, and a web demo with the interaction ( giving away the scripts would be too easy :) ), and then the competition would be to recreate the same game with playmaker, I think it is a very very good way of learning having to reverse engineer something, for me it has always been the greatest source of knowledge. Or simply provide some assets and the game would have to incorporate all assets at least once ( just like these shows on food channels where three chefs have to cook stuff iwth some random ingredients :) ) I think it is important that the competition aim at educating people, it would do a lot of good if some threads could talk about the same feature and share different approaches and actually see them executed, would be great!

bye,

Jean

kiriri

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 04:46:55 PM »
I could create assets, though it might be nice to have someone else help me out. I'm a 3D character artist. I suck at animation :D
But first of all we would have to have a theme. I've never done this before, so let's just move this conversation to the general discussion, since this is kinda the wrong forum section for it, right?
Best,
Sven

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 02:42:07 AM »
Well it's a suggestion and a lot of it would be discussed on the forum, so it's the right section, no worries.

Bye,

Jean