playMaker

Author Topic: Improving compile time  (Read 1673 times)

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
Improving compile time
« on: April 13, 2018, 04:53:37 AM »
Hello all,

i'm knee deep in development and my compile time when i hit play is now about 30 seconds, which makes me very inneficient at work as i spend most of my time waiting for half a minute just to perform a few seconds check on something i did.

Besides pooling which is really a kick in the head since i've got some 300 objects pooled with at least 10 copies of each, i was wondering if moving playmaker to standard assets or plugins folder would bring any benefits.

I read in lot of places it's good to move scripts you rarely change to those folders since they compile first (kinda how this plugin https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/mad-compile-time-optimizer-34012 works. I haven't tried since i see it hasn't been updated for a long time and the reviews are quite polarizing.

I use Playmaker almost exclusively, and as far as i know, unless i modify them, scripts that make Playmaker are never to be altered, so i guess it would be safe to move them. UNLESS the folder locations of Playmaker itself are important, like in many other plugins, and that would break the thing.
Available for Playmaker work

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Improving compile time
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 05:36:22 AM »
Hi,
It is not recommended to move playmaker and probably will give errors later on and a lot of headache.

I can remember some people on the forum tried and had issues with it.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 10:23:24 AM »
This is tricky because different versions of Unity have handled this differently over the years. Theoretically newer versions of Unity should allow you to move assets around. Internally we try to detect if the user has moved the Playmaker folders to accommodate that move (updating our paths etc.). However, I haven't done extensive testing across different Unity versions, with updating etc. So we generally advise people to not move Playmaker just to be safe.

You could make a copy of the project and do some tests to see if the compile time improvements make it worth further investigation. E.g., move the contents of Assets\PlayMaker into Assets\Plugins\PlayMaker. You will probably need to move iTween also. AFAIK this is what the compile time optimizers do.

We will do this with the official installation at some point but have been avoiding all the testing we'll need to do across versions etc.  :-\

Please let us know how it goes if you do tests!

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 04:13:38 AM »
Thanks Alex, the thing is, there already is a playmaker folder in plugins, so i can't move the playmaker folder with actions directly there. But if i'm correct, moving into subfolders of plugins folder also works. I'll check it out anyway, thanks :)

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 01:23:04 AM »
Ok, today will be the day to start transferring stuff to plugins folder and see if anything breaks hahaha.

There's a lot of custom amd regular actions script that really don't need recompiling every single time, i think that's the main culprit (or maybe my 10 year old machine. I move almost all third parry stuff to plugins, but the effect has been abysmal. I haven't checked the time since i just can't find the functional compile timer.