playMaker

Author Topic: Atari VCS? Linux  (Read 2441 times)

kavery

Atari VCS? Linux
« on: June 27, 2018, 09:10:53 AM »
Would be cool to put something out for the VCS. Since Playmaker works with Linux should we expect it to work with VCS?

verybinary

• Junior Playmaker
    • The Museum of Digital
Re: Atari VCS? Linux
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 10:10:09 AM »
I would assume the VCS is closed. homebrew is probably some kind of possible, but I think the entire purpose of the VCS is for Atari games...

but to take your idea one step further...
Can unity be compiled to raspberry pi? You could make your own vcs. make some games, put em on pi with a neat launcher, attach a controller, profit.

edit: can unity games run on pi? I just so happened to go the Arduino route, and have no pi versions. I probably should though, I have a gold Zelda NES cart that I wanna put emulators in... but running unity builds on a pi would increase my need for a pi... googling now...

the edit no one reads because ive already typed too much:
https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-games-on-raspberry-pi.298167/ says no. pi runs on arm...
but...
https://opensource.com/article/18/3/openauto-emulator-Raspberry-Pi is an android emulator that runs on pi. I could imagine a kiosk-like-pi running an android emulator that runs android games made in unity, using a launcher made in unity to navigate games...
I am so gonna work on this. I will call it VeryGame
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:35:55 AM by verybinary »

kavery

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 11:06:38 AM »
First off I like your thinking. I should clarify though that the VCS is designed with an indie channel in mind, as well as playing full PC titles. "There are a few steps to getting your game submitted and ready for sale on the Atari VCS"  https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atari-vcs-game-stream-connect-like-never-before-family-computers#/

I was most intrigued by the specs, thinking that it might actually run my Unity game which is a tad demanding on gpu. I'm not sure the latest raspberry would run it, the latest qualcom 845 probably would with minor tweaking.

Do love the idea of marketing a game with hardware. Would be a cool upper tier item for a crowd funding campaign at least.

verybinary

• Junior Playmaker
    • The Museum of Digital
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 11:13:16 AM »
I don't know too much about the VCS, and didn't even know the name of it till your post, so thanks. all I knew was Atari was coming out with a NES classic. that might not be correct, that's just what I heard at work, but will definitely look into it when I get a minute.

kavery

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 11:35:06 AM »
Yeah I don't know... there were a few retro full size Atari machines put out by AtGames, who also made the Genesis system. The VCS will have a separate emulator chip built in for atari games I think.

verybinary

• Junior Playmaker
    • The Museum of Digital
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 11:45:04 AM »
It sounds great, Ill check it out later(currently cant from work computers), and your interest is just fine, but ive kinda already switched gears to VeryGame. Just gotta come up with a game idea that would feel natural on a portable plug and play console. But ill definitely pass this on to the person that but the bug in my ear, and look further into it. good luck on getting your game approved for the indie channel.

edit: went on lunch and pulled up the indiegogo(I can pull up kickstarter from here, but not indie. /me shrugs) and you should definitely try to be on the launch list. I am uncertain of its traction after about 6 months, but everything before that will be great to advertise yourself. The not official(they prob bought the trademark correctly, but still not officially official) and online centric nature is whats bugging me about the whole process. It will come out the gate strong as crap. but I see it dying shortly after. that beginning time will definitely be crucial though.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:51:05 PM by verybinary »

kavery

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 09:09:18 AM »
Good points, I'll see what it takes to get in early. First I have to find a contact. They don't make it easy. 

Good luck with VeryGame! Curious what you do with that.