playMaker

Author Topic: Lock states  (Read 5844 times)

tbelgrave

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Ispyr Inc
Lock states
« on: October 20, 2012, 07:50:01 AM »
Hiya, I found myself wanting this feature more and more while working and trying to see what's happening in a specific state. Right now I would have to time my game pauses if I wanted to see what numbers e.t.c are changing. This is especially annoying when you have states that constantly flow in an out of each other like A.I. movements. :)

thx!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Lock states
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 03:37:51 AM »
Hi,

I need this too, and for that, the best way currently is that have another FSM acting as an "interface" to your ai fsm, so your ai fsm is controlled by your interface fsm, and your interface manage the pause state of your game of feature, and simply hide this to the ai fsm, but not triggering any state changes if it should not.

does that make sense?

bye,

Jean

amaranth

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 04:18:14 PM »
Me too! This would be incredibly helpful.

Sjones

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 05:16:37 PM »
+1

Dev_Sebas

• 1.2 Beta
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »
+1

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 02:57:23 AM »
I'm not sure I follow... Do you want to be able to select an FSM in the editor and say "Lock in current state", IOW, don't respond to any events...?

tbelgrave

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Ispyr Inc
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 06:25:23 AM »
Hmm not exactly... I would like the events and such to continue to flow through it, just lock the specific state chosen. So it's easy to monitor the values from that specific state. Not sure if I'm explaining it right :)

~t

theBrandonWu

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Studio Pepwuper
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 08:53:40 AM »
This seems to be an old request so there might be an update on this already but I couldn't find it. Is there a way to stop the PlayMaker inspector from jumping to active state during play mode?
Studio Pepwuper: http://www.pepwuper.com
One Month Game School (now on SkillShare): https://www.skillshare.com/r/user/thebrandonwu

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 11:33:36 AM »
Hi.
if you want to see what happens to the variables you can show them in the inspector by going to the variable page, select a variable and 'check' Inspector.

On the fsm in the inspector you can see them in the Controls section.

if you wish to know which values it has in a certain state, place a breakpoint (Right click and set Toggle Breakpoint)
on the next state after the one that you wish to know the value from.

This will pause the game, unpause to continue the game

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 03:12:05 PM »
To follow up on this old thread, there is a preference, Select State On Activated:
https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W644

By default, this is true and means the state selection switches to the activated state while running the game. You could uncheck this if you want to select different states at runtime.

I'll see if there's another place to expose this setting in the UI for quicker access. Maybe in the context menu for the minimap...