playMaker

Author Topic: Translate in real time  (Read 2819 times)

TonkRogerio

• Playmaker Newbie
Translate in real time
« on: October 04, 2018, 09:51:55 PM »
How do I translate in real time? is there a custom action for it? I've got a time manipulation mechanic in my game and it stops me from moving the camera whenever the game is paused. also at faster speeds it moves the camera faster. I could make it so the time manipulation works with a variable that changes the speed of all the other objects but that's a lot of work when I could just press "real time" on the camera translate instead.

Thanks in advance.

(PENDING SOLVED(Ignore this part for now)) Jean was kind enough to add it to a downloadable action called "Translate Advanced" find it in the ecosystem in playmaker and download it. The fix is that it now contains a "real time" option.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 04:13:19 AM by TonkRogerio »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Translate in real time
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 02:44:50 AM »
Hi,

are you already using the translate action, set to PerSeconds?

else for this I would use iTween or any other tweening engine that supports PlayMaker, you can move objects at realtime.

Let me know if you are not progressing with the above, I'll see if I can modify the translate action to work in realtime as well.

Bye,

Jean

TonkRogerio

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 03:38:01 AM »
Thanks for the fast reply, Jean. I'll just wait for the modification to translate tbh. I'm not familiar with itween and time is not of the essence when it comes to this issue. I'm surprised no one has asked for this before though. Thanks and let me know when the real time is implemented so I can download it. appreciate it, Jean.

EDIT:- Sorry I forgot. I am using "per second". Here is a pic of one of the fsm i'm using.

https://i.imgur.com/gX9kjj1.png
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 03:49:09 AM by TonkRogerio »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 03:34:39 AM »
Hi,

ok, it's up, Get the TranslateAdvanced Action, it will feature a new option "Realtime" that you need to check along with "PerSeconds" and then it will unaffected by time scale.

Bye,

Jean

TonkRogerio

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 03:38:29 AM »
You're a star, Jean. thanx a lot. I'll download it sometime soon and I'll let you know if  I run into any problems with it.
Again, thank you so much.

TonkRogerio

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 04:15:14 AM »
So unfortunately, it only half worked :/. It stops the camera from moving faster if the speed is increased, so the camera now moves at the same speed at almost any game time speeds except when the game is paused. the real time ticker still fails to produce any movement from the camera when the game time is set to 0.
This is odd behavior. Do you know what it could be?

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 04:28:32 AM »
Hi

well, you need to switch states and use either realtime option or not.  that's all there is to it.

Bye,

Jean

TonkRogerio

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 06:36:11 PM »
Again, I'm not sure what to tell you but it's not working. I've tried moving object in real time and that works fine, but translate doesn't work in real time when time scale is set to 0. Have you tried it? it doesn't work. I'll take a couple of pictures to show my set up so you can see. it's very easy to set up.

The camera is set to:-

https://i.imgur.com/NokoYHa.png

And the time scale is just a few buttons that when you press them they set a different number to the action "scale time". it works fine with any "scale time" number except 0. 0 stops the camera despite translate being in real time. I'm not sure why.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 05:03:43 AM »
Hi,

you need to test it on its own to make the action is not the source of the problem. and for me it works perfectly, so something is odd on your setup.

can you confirm it works also on your end on a basic setup? if it does, then you need to cut down your problem and start on a good base and add complexity one step at a time.

Bye,

Jean

TonkRogerio

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 07:05:58 AM »
Right, you're not testing the same set up but it helped me figure out that the problem appears to be "get axis vector" not translate in real time. Do you know how I could sort this out? it looks like "get axis vector" just stops getting anything when time scale is set to 0.

I appreciate the time and effort to help me with this problem.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 06:05:30 AM »
Hi,

yep, good catch, Unity Input is dependent on Time scale!

I made a new custom action on the ecosystem: GetAxisRaw and I also added the option to the already existing custom action GetAxisVectorExtended.

However, you loose smoothing on keyboard and mouse input, so it's likely that you need to switch to a proper Input solution such as Rewired ( it has PlayMaker support)

Let me know how it goes.

Bye.

Jean