playMaker

Author Topic: In-built Visual Scripting in Unity 2019 ?  (Read 6101 times)

heavygunner

In-built Visual Scripting in Unity 2019 ?
« on: November 02, 2018, 08:47:00 AM »
Hi,

I just watched this video. Check this. In-built visual scripting coming for Unity 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=622&v=RPjId7EBD7M

:)

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
Re: In-built Visual Scripting in Unity 2019 ?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 01:26:47 PM »
Cool if you like coding, but Playmaker's better.
Available for Playmaker work

heavygunner

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 01:38:40 PM »
Cool if you like coding, but Playmaker's better.
Oh ! Wait.
I don't know to code.
Visual Scripting is coming to Unity 2019. Playmaker also Visual Scripting tool. Right ?  ??? ??? ??? ???
I also love Playmaker :)

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 02:25:05 PM »
Well, Playmaker's not really visual scripting. I tried some real visual scripting tools lile Bolt, Nottorus, uNode, i didn't know shit. Though, this could be a good opportunity to learn proper c#.

waveform

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 08:06:40 AM »
Of course Bolt and Unity built in Visual Scripting is perfect for professional programmers to illustrate to proponents of visual scripting just how long it can take to wire up a bunch of confusing nodes into what ends up as about 7 lines of dead simple code that could be typed up in under a minute.

Playmaker is different,it`s not a visual scripting tool, i mean it`s more like script snippet that allow user make custom actions,inspectors.

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 08:30:11 AM »
The only use case i see for folks using Playmaker is for easier action writing for code inept. But after my experience with other visual scripting tools, it's still much easier and faster to do it in code.

tcmeric

• Beta Group
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 12:12:34 PM »
Also says 2019.3 . So that what, 2020 basically?  8)

Fat Pug Studio

• Beta Group
    • Fat Pug Studio
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 02:30:18 PM »
Doesn't it say 2019.2? So that puts it some time next summer.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 09:52:46 AM »
Hi,

as waveform said and completly understood, PlayMaker is not a visual scripting tool, it's a very specific paradigm to design interaction. Bolt, Bolt 2, and Unity visual scripting attempt are all missing the point of what artists expects, because it comes from a developer perspective. Which is why Alex really was blessed on the day he figured out PlayMaker and how it should function.

It's indeed the fact that PlayMaker is a wrapper of code snippets ( Actions), combines with an FSM visual editor, for linking states, events and data together. It is a very unique take. and I don't see any solution so far that understood and implemented properly a direct competitor.

the very strength of PlayMaker is also its weakness, because it means actions have to be written manually, because they are more than mere visual representation of an api end point or method, this means Unity will NEVER go that way because it can not scale automatically and requires a lot of human resources to keep updating and creating new actions. so Unity will never be able to create an intuitive visual scripting because it would either rely on reflections for everything and be completly bad for perfs, or it would need to be on the same level as scripting because it has to expose all api, and so you end with a one to one relationship between the visual representation of a code and it's c# counter part, which implies you need to know how to code, period... It may makes things prettier and less prone to typos, but it essentially boils down to this.

Now, the real danger as some might have spotted already is exposure on the Asset store which seems to be tampered to promote other visual scripting environment, which is fine in itself, however the strong user base and the sheer amount of resources available on the internet is compensating for now.

Bye,

Jean