playMaker

Author Topic: playMaker compatibility with articy:draft 3  (Read 1947 times)

OlafsOsh

• Playmaker Newbie
playMaker compatibility with articy:draft 3
« on: November 23, 2018, 05:52:28 PM »
Hey, everyone!

I am looking to purchase playMaker, but have a question beforehand. I will use articy:draft for all my narrative needs - will there be any problems to import the content from articy into Unity project in which I will use playMaker?

I seriously googled this thing, but nothing comes up.

Thore

Re: playMaker compatibility with articy:draft 3
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 09:38:23 PM »
They have nothing directly to do with each other. Articy:Draft can export XML and perhaps other formats that can in turn be read by scripts (in Unity), provided they are written for that purpose. I recommend to look for special narrative assets for Unity, if that’s you want to do mainly.

Playmaker complements or replaces scripts in Unity, and uses an approach called (finite) state machines. It’s amazing, but it is not a solution tailor-made for narrative. You can build anything you want, including interactive stories. But beware, it’s NOT a tool to build dialogue trees etc specifically. There are certainly other assets made for that purpose that may be better suited for you.

With that said, Playmaker can be expanded with custom scripts and also has (free) addons. There’s one called Datamaker that can read XML, for instance, and so in theory, can load in the XLM export from Articy:Draft, but you probably need to figure out how (likely not just export and load). See this tutorial to get an idea.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 04:01:28 AM »
Hi.
To import the content would not be an issue.

But to communicate with the asset, Articy:Draft does not seem to have dedicated PlayMaker actions.

You probably could use Get/Set Properties actions and call/invoke method actions
But its better to have dedicated actions.

You could ask the author if he could support PlayMaker integration/actions (better option)
If he is willing, he can always contact Jean or me if he needs some help on building actions.

Another options is to look for another dialogue system asset which supports PlayMaker

It is also possible to build your own dialogue system, but it would take time to learn to build this inside playmaker.

OlafsOsh

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 04:48:31 AM »
Hey, guys, thanks a bunch!

Well, did some more googling :] You were right - I messed up things a bit. It looks like the needed middle man would be Dialogue System for Unity, as it supports both - Playmaker AND Articy: http://www.pixelcrushers.com/dialogue_system/manual/html/play_maker.html

One might argue to just drop the articy, but for narrative heavy things I'll need an order :]

OlafsOsh

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 02:29:54 PM »
OK!

Was on the fence between PM and Bolt. Just got myself a Playmaker \m/

P.S. That awesome feeling, when Unity has 50% off the next day, though, heh
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:10:19 PM by OlafsOsh »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 01:58:59 AM »
Hi,

cool :) glad you picked PlayMaker, you won't regret it!

Bye,

Jean