playMaker

Author Topic: Localized Time Pausing  (Read 1946 times)

Prestonh

• Playmaker Newbie
Localized Time Pausing
« on: February 18, 2019, 10:12:39 PM »
Just out of curiosity, is there a way to adjust time scale in a localized area? like in a collider for example?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Localized Time Pausing
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 10:30:22 PM »
Hi.

For that you best look for an asset like Chronos
It has playmaker actions as well

Prestonh

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 11:25:26 PM »
haha that's what I was afraid of lol

ch1ky3n

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 09:23:09 PM »
It is possible, but it might take extra works ;D
Chronos alike will speed up everything.
Mind telling us what are you trying to achieve?

Prestonh

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 09:52:31 PM »
little bit of everything. I have a pause system, just using time scale, seems to work fine for me.  but the localized time would be cool.  its splitscreen.  so  some AI can freeze the players, which I do with scripting, not time based. that works and all.   would be easier if I could time scale specific units.  but mainly, looking at my combat. I want to spice it up a bit.  one idea I had, is during a super move, time would slow for the attack, BUT being split screen, I don't want to slow the other player and what they are doing, unless they are close by.

Prestonh

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 09:55:11 PM »
to which, if there are any great minds out there. I just started playing with some nav mesh tonight for this.  like I have a nav mesh and run AI on it just fine.  but I have parts of a base that start deactivate.  then as things happen pieces of it come into play.  but right now im thinking, wtf how am I going to build a nav mesh on these newly made objects?  which might be easy, not sure.  just playing with it now. if anyone has any tips for it

Prestonh

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 11:21:39 AM »
so after playing with it, I haven't got the time thing yet, but for the navmesh on deactivated objects, ive learned the advanced navmesh components work, the navmesh surface combined with navmesh linker and navmesh obstacle do exactly what I need.

ch1ky3n

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 11:03:10 PM »
I envy people who are able to go with 3d development, My studio doesn't have enough 3d Assets at the moment  :-X

btw, I prefer to make my own pause system and stay away from timescale. I feel more control over everything.

Regarding the navmesh, you can prefab those newly made object, right?

Prestonh

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 01:18:41 AM »
I possibly could prefab them, but at the moment they aren't. but the navsurfacer works good though.   if you don't use timescale, what method do you use?  for a area slowdown, I also thought of a overlap sphere then cut animator speed down, might give me the effect I'm looking for, except for any bullets or missiles.

ch1ky3n

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 02:14:52 AM »
In 2d games, I handle all the velocities, time, animation playback through a series of variables stored in a gameobject (Jean Fabre mentioned it as a metadata).
thus, I could scale all the velocity and other parts whatever I wanted them to be.

for example movement speed

MyPlayerMovementSpeed = Movementspeed * Modifier(default:1)
if i want to pause, i just change the variable modifer to 0 or 0.5 if i want half speed.

Hopefully, it will help ;D

Prestonh

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 12:31:41 PM »
oh ya, I have something similar on each player themselves, for sprinting and being tired. mines pretty simple though.