PlayMaker Feedback > Feature Requests

Accessing FSM variables or triggering events without giving name of them.

(1/2) > >>

crystani:
Using playmaker, I could almost finish the project. (TPS game for iPhone platform.) As I gave up supporting iphone 1,2 generations for shader, I couldn't notice garbage collection problem was that severe. However, when I run the profiler, it was obvious that there were lots of GC calls inside playmaker's update calls.

Maybe it would be a solution if playmaker Fsm can access other Fsms using integer tags (like what we do for load scens with numbers) or references of playmaker variables or events.   

giyomu:
are you sure that the GC you see doesn't come from some certain action working with string op, because for what i see know and what i am using, i didn't catch any GC in profiler within fsm update() method, of course using playmaker GUI in editor will get you some due to GUI / GUIRepaint() stuff kicking in but other than that ...

well i didn't explore all action yet so..

crystani:

--- Quote from: giyomu on April 28, 2011, 09:16:08 PM ---are you sure that the GC you see doesn't come from some certain action working with string op, because for what i see know and what i am using, i didn't catch any GC in profiler within fsm update() method, of course using playmaker GUI in editor will get you some due to GUI / GUIRepaint() stuff kicking in but other than that ...

well i didn't explore all action yet so..

--- End quote ---

I think that if you use actions like SetFSMInt with EveryFrame option turned on for a few dozens of instances, this could make GC calls once a few seconds. But I couldn't notice it until I turned on profiler cause I used iPhone 4 only... It is not really bad compared to the case that I could see GUI/GUIRepaint()'s making lots of GC calls.

Maybe I have to fix my FSMs in order to reduce those actions that access other FSM's variables and events... However, I have to use them in many cases.

Alex Chouls:
Those actions should cache the variable reference for better performance and reduced garbage collection - will fix this.

MaDDoX:

--- Quote from: crystani on April 28, 2011, 10:14:35 PM ---It is not really bad compared to the case that I could see GUI/GUIRepaint()'s making lots of GC calls.
--- End quote ---
That's a quite important information. I'm getting some very bad playback hiccups (to the point of physics skipping collisions, etc) inside the editor, and those don't occur when I compile/deploy the project and play it externally.

Since the PlayMaker GUI is "auto-added" to the scene every time you remove it, what's the proper way to disable it? Setting it in preferences or something?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version