playMaker

Author Topic: Can I bring Playmaker into game that is already built  (Read 2083 times)

A2G

• Playmaker Newbie
Can I bring Playmaker into game that is already built
« on: March 26, 2019, 03:17:31 PM »
I have owned Playmaker for over a year now but never used it, I instead brought in a friend that was a programmer to help with my game, I dont know anything really about coding. The game is already on Early Access and my friend decided to quit. So now I was looking at using Playmaker so I can finish the game. So I wanted to know how hard it would be to start using Playmaker this far into developing my game, and can I use playmaker to add to his code and adjust it, or do I need to just remove all his code and start from there. His code did not run the entire game, I have other assets working together as well. like Inventory Pro, Opsive third person, Quest System Pro, Enviro, CTS, Easy build and Emerald AI.

The code he wrote ties all these together and includes the save system along with the start screen, Vitals, and main menu, but I have so much more to add to the game so I was thinking playmaker would be a great way for me to do that.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Can I bring Playmaker into game that is already built
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 02:34:32 AM »
Hi,

The short answer: Yes if you know how to code, and no if you don't know how to code.

long answer :

it could be tricky, because not all these systems have playmaker support and it's of course best to create custom actions to control and work with complex assets.

you will struggle if you can't understand what was done already and how it was written, it's likely that adding more features will require heavy modifications of the current code base to accomodate with new features, or bug fixing, or improvement/complexification of existing features.

so, it sounds like you should get a developer with you, and likely bring playmaker in the mix, so that your developer can create the custom actions you need ( open new threads and ping me, if you want me to give you a kick start on custom action dev), to move your project in a direction where playmaker can be used.

Bye,

Jean

Thore

Re: Can I bring Playmaker into game that is already built
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 04:37:14 AM »
I’d say depends on what you want to do. You can expand with playmaker just fine, add new mechanics and features, or replace something. The more separate the new stuff, the easier. You can add new powerups, do the new boss mob fight with it etc.

But you cannot use playmaker to complete existing scripts, make it write code, or easily expand already developed systems (what jean wrote), i.e. if you have three RPG classes and you want a fourth one, that’s going to be difficult or impractical altogether.