playMaker

Author Topic: question about the iphone resolutions  (Read 3492 times)

nepomuk

• Playmaker Newbie
question about the iphone resolutions
« on: June 06, 2014, 04:48:46 AM »
hey, i've got a general question about the resolution when publishing for iphone.

since the different iphone versions have different resolutions, how to setup a the camera?
when i for example set the resolution fixed to 320x480 (old iphones) how will the game be displayed on the iphone 4?
an how do you deal with the different scale of the iphone 5 where the screen's height is more stretched compared to older versions?

thanks in advance :)

jess84

Re: question about the iphone resolutions
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 06:20:16 PM »
For my game, I decided to use Get Screen Width and figure out all of the devices, (there is a custom action I think for getting iOS device though), then I changed the camera's properties based on what device I'd detected.

E.g an FSM on the camera that checks the device, then branches off for each device, where I then use Set Property actions to modify the camera properties.

I also added some buttons on my front-end with Set Resolution attached, so I could switch between how the iOS devices would look but on a Windows standalone build, and then just tweaked the cameras until they looked better.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 04:45:11 AM »
Hi,

This really depends on your game, If you need to have width constraints ( like a puzzle game ala cut the rope, where the width is the key), then you'll need to adjust the FOV of your camera to account for the change in ratio.

There is such a trick in BottleNeck game, to always show the full width of the game and simply adjust ( anchor ) some UI to the top and bottom of the screen.

to play with this, select the ipehon 5 ratio in your game view and adjust the fov of the camera ( or the orthosize) to understand how that plays with the aspect ratio.

Bye,

Jean

nepomuk

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 05:19:21 AM »
thanks. this helped me alot. actually i go fine with just getting and setting the screen size :)