playMaker

Author Topic: Writing custom actions help.  (Read 3658 times)

shinodan

• Shinozone
Writing custom actions help.
« on: December 10, 2012, 08:39:11 AM »
Could anyone tell me where to start as the community wiki has a todo page on the topic :(

DARK_ETERNAL

Re: Writing custom actions help.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:42:44 AM »
I guess this isn't the right place to this question. However, the wiki has a pretty good starter, although it's true it might be more complete.

Check it at https://hutonggames.fogbugz.com/default.asp?W166
Check out our new game: Nitro Chimp. Now live in App Store!

Trailer:
Download: https://itunes.apple.com/app/nitro-chimp/id557150450?l=en&mt=8

kiriri

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 10:03:10 AM »
the best references are the actions themselves IMO. If I wanted to create an action related to sound for example, I would start by looking at the PlaySound action to see how to best use Playmaker's variables etc in that context . The rest then is mostly programming, or rather plain coding most of the times :D
So I'd recommend just copying an action which goes into the direction of what you want to write, and then removing the unimportant parts and adding your own. That keeps the actions aligned in the sense that the names of the variables are always the same, which helps other ppl read your stuff faster.
Anyways, that's just how I do it.
Best,
Sven

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 05:05:50 AM »
Hi,

also, don't forget that there is a custom action wizard editor in the Playmaker/tools menu, this will help you build the skeleton for it, but to learn how to write actions, Kiriri is right, and I do this too always, I start with an existing action that matches more or less what I want to achieve and then modify it.

bye,

Jean