playMaker

Author Topic: Warp Hole 2 player demo  (Read 3933 times)

cb

• Junior Playmaker
Warp Hole 2 player demo
« on: November 23, 2012, 02:28:13 PM »
Quick video of my latest game, working title Warp Hole. It's based around Space Wars and other games from the Vectrex console like Solar Quest. It's style is vector-like, similar to Space Wars etc with a touch of Geometry Wars grid effects, 90% Playmaker with some regular scripting.

The 2 players duel inside a Warp Hole, effectively playing like the bottom half of a sphere. Thus the space craft and bullets are affected by the contour of the hole and bend accordingly. Other space objects appear, such as the giant meteor in the video. This has to be avoided but can also be used to hide behind. Ships, bullets and meteors all rejoin the screen at the opposite end that they left the screen/warp hole, a la Asteroids.

So far the game has been developed for iPad and Browser. Looking for feedback on this game, right now it's playable for two players on one keyboard and one iPad (with virtual sticks at each screen end) but i'm tempted to look into a network browser version for true one-on-one space dogfighting.
It's not my area of expertise but if Photon is as easy to use as people say then that may be the path to take.
Would appreciate some input on this, especially any hints on networking and which version should take precedence for development.

shinodan

• Shinozone
Re: Warp Hole 2 player demo
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 09:21:04 AM »
Looks good! Visuals are nice and colorful! I love 2 players games that i can whip out on my ipad with friends!

cb

• Junior Playmaker
Re: Warp Hole 2 player demo
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 03:15:07 PM »
Thanks for the comments. Yes, the iPad version will be fun, despite the two sets of controls there's plenty of screen space. The real fun could be in online play though, and this is an area I'd appreciate help with. If Jean or any of the other Photon users are looking in how suitable for online play could this project be? 1 on 1 gameplay is my first aim, but maybe a small arena with multi players could work.
Do the Photon tutorials show a similar pathway to getting this particular game networked? My brief look at it seems to cover FPS games, so I'm not too sure where to start.