playMaker

Author Topic: Events type differentiation  (Read 5297 times)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Events type differentiation
« on: April 01, 2011, 06:54:29 AM »
Hi,

As I build more and more complex fsm, I see three different categories or events emerging so far.

-- The obvious one are built in events coming from the system, user inputs, triggers, etc, all the ones pre builted ( with the exception of "FINISHED" which would belong to my third category)

-- The second category are events describing the actual process  described by the fsm. They are very specific "ROBOT IS READY", or "PLAYER WOUNDED", anything very specific about what you are building.

-- The third category are events helping out in describing the generic flow, basically transition's events. For example, I find myself creating a "DONE" event when a routine is finished. A "TRUE" "FALSE" event pairs, when I build a state checking for a bool. a "YES" "NO" pair when asking more plain english question to the system ( true or false basically..). They are exclusively used in transition because a global event "TRUE" means nothing really... The built in "FINISHED" event belongs to this category I would say.
They are very useful and prevent creating too much events from the second category which leads to cluttered events and basically too much of them in the end.

I think there is room to organize events so that differentiating between such types of event becomes clearer and more manageable.

Bye,

Jean

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Events type differentiation
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 08:27:16 AM »
Great breakdown Jean! I definitely want to keep things as clear and organized as possible... that's a very high priority for playmaker. I like your categories, and I'll definitely do something with this in an update.