playMaker

Author Topic: Please ! Add Globals Variable Folders And Globals Variable Rename !  (Read 6023 times)

siumanchunandy

• Playmaker Newbie
Please ! Add Globals Variable Folders And Globals Variable Rename !

Design renderings !
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 02:33:49 PM by siumanchunandy »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Hi,

yeah, Global variables renaming has been disabled due to serialization issues. Hopefully a workaround will be found.

as for your layout suggestion, typically, what you want to achieve with such global variables is not really something I recommend. This calls for proper Object oriented approach here.

Maybe you should use ArrayMaker with an HAshtable to store all these variables. cause I Expect you to create then a ev_mod_2_xxx etc etc right?

Bye,

Jean

4ppleseed

A better solution for displaying Global variables is needed IMO.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
Hi,

yep, I agree. the current beta has "categories" where you can organize variables into user defined categories. it works also for global variables.

Bye,

Jean

4ppleseed

Hi,

yep, I agree. the current beta has "categories" where you can organize variables into user defined categories. it works also for global variables.

Bye,

Jean

Sounds great  8)

siumanchunandy

• Playmaker Newbie

What is IMO ?

4ppleseed

What is IMO ?

In My Opinion.  8)

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
Re: Please ! Add Globals Variable Folders And Globals Variable Rename !
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 04:57:27 AM »
yeah, Global variables renaming has been disabled due to serialization issues. Hopefully a workaround will be found.

Isn't it recommended to avoid using global variables anyway?

In fact that is something curious, with Playmaker.
Typically, global variables are always present and accessible, and can be altered by anything, anywhere, which can be dangerous.

But it turns out that all Playmaker variables a developer can add in the PME can be accessed from any other FSM and modified from outside with the Set Fsm ... actions. So they're kinda global too, no?

Still, are those (original) global variables safe to use?

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 11:48:17 AM »
the next patch (1.8.0) will have Categories and a little bird told me that on the next next patch (1.8.1) it is planned to be able to Collapse / Expand those Categories.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 12:38:11 PM »
Hi,

Globals are safe to use, it's your responsability to handle a project overall strategy, and of course if there is an asset from a third party that is affecting globals, you'll know about it, as a feature, rather then a threat.

Typically, this is no less exposed than regular scripts which also can be accessed from anywhere, all the public interface ( methods and properties) are just as exposed as PlayMaker global and local variables. this is part of the deal with programming.

Global variables have very good use case, usually when you read some of my threads on potential mis usage of Globals is simply a matter of structuring your project to be more encapsulated, and avoid using globals for everything and anything, that's all :)

Bye,

Jean