playMaker

Author Topic: Hide conections  (Read 4417 times)

Sjones

Hide conections
« on: March 01, 2013, 03:28:41 PM »
It would be great if we could toggle each states conections on and off, its getting messy for myself and hard to follow everything, being able to select a group of states and then turning them off or on (if a mixed selection, unify them and the user can choose to switch to the opposite)

have a icon like the error icon to demonstrate that they are hidden, possibly even hide the event nodes too from that state if the lines are hidden.

this is why I would like the feature

PS. sorry I put this in the wrong section, can someone move it to feature requests please.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:03:45 PM by Sjones »

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Hide conections
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 11:50:52 PM »
Hi,

That's one mad Fsm!!!

When I have too much links, I simply use events, that works fine, and I make sure I comment that the event is local, else it becomes difficult to follow.

also, in your case, I strongly recommand you separate features into distinct Fsm, I am sure you can split that in three or four Fsm at least. If it's a question of accessing variable, don't worry, Get/set Fsm var is fine to use really. Have one fsm acting as a central repository for common values, and other fsm simply go there to get and set vars.

bye,

Jean

Sjones

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 06:30:15 AM »
Thanks jean, I am attempting as much as possible to keep the number of FSM's down to a minimum, when I was running 80+ fsm's on my mobile device I noticed considerable performance issues, even though these fsm's was not doing anything (had finished the last action but was still active) this means on some level that separate fsm's use up for resources (I know that the 80+ is extreme, but my device is fairly powerful and need to save as much as I can for lower end devices)

Also I did consider using events, however I find that there is less chance of mistakes here, with good planning and testing I am sure there wouldn't be an issue but I am always concerned that an event is called at the wrong time, from somewhere unexpected, multiple sections under the same events etc, for me this way it can only leave that state and unless an event is sent to that fsm it cant go wrong.

saying that, it would probably only take a few events to tidy this up somewhat especially for the ones that have lots of states leading into it.

Its something I will probably consider more when I begin a new project as I am comfortable with the way it is for now and would rather not break anything at this point, thanks for your suggestion.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 03:13:21 PM »
Hi,

If you have unity pro, I would check with the profiler, cause I dont think you get slow perfs because you have 80 fsm, likely something else is in the way as well.

80+ fsm is not that extreme in practice.

also, you have a good point that indeed, splitting features into several fsm means careful design AND accurate refactoring documentation and focus, cause it can go wrong quickly if you don't name events properly and clean up when you change the fsm behavior. So yes, having everything hardwired is a way to solve this issue.

bye,

Jean

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 03:24:14 PM »
http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=3855.0

This is probably still the way forward to condense complex FSM's rather than hiding each connection.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Sjones

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 11:26:48 PM »
I might take a look at an old build, it could be the 90+ fsms where having draw calls for their states, this could of killed performance on the mobile device, I knew after removing the active FSM's (deleted self) performance was back up again

yeh, either that post with grouping them or http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=3284.0

though the post you linked to lane looks more popular, but also more uncertain - either way I am avoiding upgrading till I finished my current project (currently still on 1.5.4) - its a shame cos I could do with those performance increases badly, but I will suffer the pain to be certain nothing breaks!

Red

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 09:40:59 AM »
Wow, that's one beastly FSM system.

If i may offer some suggestions for a hiding connections thing... could it be possible to have a system that lets you choose whether connections are over the states, under the states and a 50% transparency as well? so, if you want to hide the connections, you can... if you want to tell them to be behind the states, you can and if you want to have them halfway transparent, you can? i don't know if this is do-able though but i'll admit i'm just spitballing here. :P