playMaker

Author Topic: Set camera FOV to screen border?  (Read 4286 times)

VectorF22

• Junior Playmaker
Set camera FOV to screen border?
« on: July 21, 2013, 01:52:41 PM »
Hi there,

I'm using a perspective main camera and I'm trying to find out a way of automatically setting the field of view to exactly match the border of the screen...

I already have a background plane thats height and width is automatically being set to the devices screen resolution, but I can't seem to find a way within playmaker of having the main cameras field of view to match it...

I essentially want the whole background plane to be in view at all times and for the camera to automatically set its FOV dependent on the devices screen resolution...

Thanks!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Set camera FOV to screen border?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 05:31:33 PM »
Hi,

Are you aware of the screen ratio issue that it would create? if you match the fov with the screen width, then your background height will be problemtic and either cropped or not tall enough.

Having said that: could this be one way to solve your issue?

http://pixelplacement.com/2013/01/03/pixel-camera/

you have to just love what Bob comes with! incredible guy, where does he find the time...?!? :-\

If that doesn't fit your needs, I'll do some research on this, as I haven't found any relevant stuff on the web to do exactly easily.

bye,

Jean

VectorF22

• Junior Playmaker
Re: Set camera FOV to screen border?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 05:48:33 PM »
Hey Jean,

You're absolutely right, changing the FOV on the fly is a stupid idea... Things end up getting seriously stretched towards the edges when it's a high FOV.

The pixel camera would be perfect if it worked in perspective projection! I've looked all over the place and can't seem to find a simple solution, which is funny when you think it's actually a fairly simple problem (in concept)....

Thanks!