playMaker

Author Topic: Astroid Runners - Endless 3d space flyer  (Read 5484 times)

Shebhnt

• Playmaker Newbie
Astroid Runners - Endless 3d space flyer
« on: July 31, 2013, 07:52:22 PM »
Starting a new project that will hopefully be made into a full game (targeting iphone first, then hopefully other platforms like android and ouya)

The idea being that you fly your ship through an endless astroid field till you hit something and blow up.  Have a very basic set up ready to go that you can test here:

http://www.shelbeyhuntsapps.com/tests/firsttest.html

escpodgames

• Assets
Re: Astroid Runners - Endless 3d space flyer
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 08:29:18 PM »
Pretty cool, simple little idea. I know it would be super easy to start adding things to it like shooting, enemies, pickups etc (if they are even needed) One thing that would be cool would be to get the sense of moving faster as you progress. The ios game Jimmy Pataya did this really well IMO by adding speed lines.

Controls - I know this is only a prototype but if I hold up and then press down it doesn't go down, feels weird. Any thoughts on iOS controls?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:57:28 PM by LampRabbit »

Shebhnt

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
Yeah, the idea is to adjust the speed by the amount of time.

As far as controls, I was thinking of using the accelerometer with maybe a virtual joystiq as an alternate option.

Flying Robot

• Od ton yebo redro
    • Flying Robot Studios
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 09:50:19 AM »
Cool one!

Hey, what if there are towers on the asteroids which can shoot at you ship? May be some guided missiles as well. It can be fun if one tower tries to track you and you move behind another asteroid and it gets destroyed in the crossfire.

Shebhnt

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 07:02:41 PM »
Good idea, as far as development goes here is an update:

So the controls are pretty much done, using accelerometer adds a fun challenge and works for mobile.  The overall gameplay has become a bit more "star fox" as the ship now moves within invisible boundaries and the camera stays static.  This switch helped up the challenge of the gameplay and made it a bit more fun.  Have a working prototype with a score system and a way to reset after you collide with an asteroid.  Starting to work a little more on the models and then will move on to other areas.  The goal is to evenutally have it so that every so often you get thrown into hyperspace which will act like a bonus round of sorts then be spit out in a different type of environment.  This way the game can go from dodging asteroids to a star wars trench run type thing to other type situations.