playMaker

Author Topic: iOS build size  (Read 3568 times)

favoyang

• Playmaker Newbie
iOS build size
« on: August 19, 2013, 12:29:54 AM »
Trying to optimize build size for iOS build. As you may know that Apple add DRM for the executable file, make it less compress-able. So generally speaking, you want to keep executable as small as possible.

After checking Unity editor console log, I found that all playmaker actions are list in
"Used Assets, sorted by uncompressed size" section, even I'm NOT using most of them.

I have set stripping level to StripByteCode, so I assume those unused code should be stripped. But I'm confused after a simple test - by removing all the actions source file and rebuild for iOS, Xcode report me that the executable file size is 0.7MB smaller!

Is this expected behaviour?

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: iOS build size
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 03:48:54 AM »
Yes, for right now at least. We plan to make a build optimizer that automatically removes unused actions, but until then you would have to delete unused actions manually to save that space. Deleting whole action folders that you know aren't used can go a long way, e.g., Networking, iTween... Beyond that you have to decide how important removing the remaining unused actions is to you, considering the time it would take to manually weed them out... bearing in mind that Unity iOS apps are typically 20-40MB or more...