playMaker

Author Topic: Adjust parent location without moving children  (Read 4569 times)

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
Adjust parent location without moving children
« on: August 16, 2011, 11:45:09 AM »
Is there any way to adjust a parent object without moving the children? I just have some objects that i scale down together but their centres are different so i would like to adjust them..

Hmm i just had an idea of maybe i can have a centre object and then make my objects temporarily children of it and then just scale the one object and then remove them as children,... will look and see if there are some Actions that look like they could that or similar.

Q

Damian

• 1.2 Beta
    • Permaximum Betty
Re: Adjust parent location without moving children
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 12:48:58 PM »
I have a crazy idea. ;D
Make an empty object and use that like parent.
Put your old parent in it and then move out your children to to new parent..
No idea if it works for your object.

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 01:21:22 PM »
Hehhh yea except i have already referenced the the main objects in my project and i dont really want another layer there if i dont need to...

But anyway i am using the Set Parent Action and it works like a charm... i have one ScaleBy Center object and i just set the children on it to what ever i need and then scale it up and down and it works perfect.... yea...

But i am going to make the SetParentMultiObject Action so i can make a list.. Then all should be good. Will save me quite a few states.

Q

Damian

• 1.2 Beta
    • Permaximum Betty
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 01:50:14 PM »
Good you have it solved. :)

qholmes

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 10:23:23 AM »
Yes my solution for assigning my objects to a new parent object when i need to worked great. Reduced my structure quite a bit so that was good. For each group that i want to run through this routine there are only 3 states that i need to set up. the rest are all generic.

Q