playMaker

Author Topic: Array and List as actual Playmaker variables  (Read 5942 times)

Dindrane

• Playmaker Newbie
Array and List as actual Playmaker variables
« on: December 26, 2013, 05:08:07 AM »
Hello, I recently got Playmaker and it is an awesome tool and I do know about Arraymaker and how to make custom actions. But I am not very fond of coding much since I am an artist. While Arraymaker kind of gives a work around it is not very clean and not very up to date to use it much, so I would really appreciate you guys just adding lists and arrays as private and global variable types with a corresponding set of actions instead of Arraymaker components or using arrays in custom actions.

Probably this feature is left out because a lot of people who use arrays already code well enough to go around the problem or not use Playmaker for it at all
or because it produces some technical issue. I however would find that extremely useful!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Array and List as actual Playmaker variables
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 06:17:51 AM »
Hi,

Can you precise the technical issues you have or what's not clean or not up to date with ArrayMaker? I am willing to see what people expect from ArrayMaker. I use it on a daily bases so I may miss the obvious on some functionalities or approaches. I hardly find another way to present all this, the only addition I would do are:

-- custom editors for entries in arrays and hashtables
-- in memory arrays and hashtale so that you don't need a component to store lists.
-- read write, import export of data.

Any other more advance used, I turn to Xml or proper databases really.

bye,

Jean

Dindrane

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 08:27:40 AM »
Hey ^^ I am sorry to call it not clean I am sure you put your best efforts in.

What I mean by it is that its not a clean integration and adds yet another menu instead of adding to the playmaker addon and that the component itself is very nice to use but not as simple as an array entry in the variable list of playmaker!

The other thing is a corresponding for each action is not something I have come across, so even with array maker without custom actions a dynamic menu is very hard to do! And I cannot really imagine that making a for each action is easy since calling an event for every element would change states which would abort the looping though, so it has to call actions for each element rather than events. So my thought process is that things like that would be easiert with a full array integration!

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 09:10:17 AM »
Hi,

no worries, I am ok with critics and yes it's not ideal because it's on top of playmaker and not embedded...

I have updated the trello task to reflect your thoughts:

https://trello.com/c/FamlVQBD/31-arraymaker-update

Dynamiy menus are almost impossible to cover in a standar way unfortunalty, it depends on the gui system you will be using, not on playmaker nor Unity...

so, even without ArrayMaker and even if PlayMaker had arrays, you would still need to create a custom action to bridge with NGUI or 2dToolkit or else build an actual fsm or script to display a menu or create one from scratch.

what 2d solution are you using? I think I could make an addon to arraymaker to bridge with ngui or else, that would be valid for me.

Don't forget to vote that task.

Bye,

Jean

Dindrane

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 09:38:46 AM »
I am using the standart unity ongui stuff that comes with playmaker, what I was thinking about is a fake dropdown box for resolution. But I just made it a bit simpler with a higher and lower resolution button using arraymaker ^^

Marsh

• Comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 09:56:19 AM »
I would love to see Arrays as a variable type. Lists would be nice but not as needed. This is the only thing I have felt that PlayMaker is truly lacking to date.

Yes ArrayMaker works. But it is really a odd way of doing things (in my opinion).