playMaker

Author Topic: Top SEARCH box  (Read 8696 times)

MeachWare

• Playmaker Newbie
Top SEARCH box
« on: February 11, 2014, 10:06:44 AM »
As a new forum user I've finally discovered to NOT use that top SEARCH box at all; or at least not for the forum. Instead to use the Search located on the menu bar.

I'm not sure the point of that search box but I can tell you it hasn't helped me.

Also Searching in general I find myself reading old posts and forget to look at the date only to discover the topic was a work-around for a missing feature that is no longer needed.

Okay, I'm re-reading this and I sound like a whiny biatch... perhaps..  ;)

I'm really liking using and learning PM but when I hit a snag, come here and (use the wrong) search; I end up more frustrated.

Bottom line: Please take my comments with (several) grains of salt and I really do try and provide (hopefully) valuable feedback.
Thanks

PS One more thing... make those "News:" items clickable for Pete's sake... don't make me go digging for something that interests me.... okay now that WAS whiny...
 8)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 10:10:24 AM by MeachWare »

parallel

Re: Top SEARCH box
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:21:58 AM »
I only see one search box, which seems to narrow the search depending on which subforum you are in, so having it search the whole forum you'd want to 'stand' on the frontpage.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 12:55:40 PM »
Hi,

Yes, the newsletter areay is not clickable... very odd isn't it... what news where you interested in specificall?

the search engine was down last week, it works again today for me at least.

I use it several times per day to reference post on new questions, so that is definitly VERY helpfull!

bye,

Jean

MeachWare

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 04:27:23 PM »
Cool - not sure about the news item but something caught my fancy and I was like WTH, now I have to go look for it!  ;) Oh I think it was something about updated youtube tutorials.

From my previous experience the top search bar is fine for ONE WORD. Once you enter multiple it's pretty useless  :(

However, the menu bar Search allows a much more fine tuned search that handle multiple words just fine.

jess84

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 09:41:24 AM »
Yep, this is pretty useless... I've never been able to search for 3 words, it always takes 30 seconds then comes back with:

Database Error
Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 02:30:54 PM »
Hi,

yep... only use 2 words. Alex is aware of this and trying to find a different hosting solution to better handle heavy mysql queries.

bye,

Jean

• Beta Group
    • Flashing Lights
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 12:20:41 PM »
Hi,

Sorry for bumping this old topic.

When I found out about 2 word thing in the search, mostly no need for google etc. and that speeds up the process. Found out this about four months after registering ..slow thinking I know :D

A little suggestion:

Add a comment to the Search box "Search 2 words max." or something similar?

This could Maybe reduce some double posting and new members will find answers  faster.

Thanks!