playMaker

Author Topic: Is there a way to put comments in FSMs?  (Read 3165 times)

Kubold

Is there a way to put comments in FSMs?
« on: March 24, 2014, 06:02:54 AM »
Is there a way to put comments in FSMs, like in Kismet in UDK?
Some brackets or something? I know there are colours, but this is not enough. Other people than the creator can't possibly know what does what without some descriptions.

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
Re: Is there a way to put comments in FSMs?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 07:17:33 AM »
You can put descriptions on every State and every FSM, under the relevant tab in the editor you'll see the Description field for typing in. You can also rename any FSM or State and using unique event names in conjunction with clear state titles and brief descriptions really does a lot to help with legibility.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Kubold

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 07:59:44 AM »
Thanks for quick answer, but... it does have the group of states descriptions or does not?

Let's say we end up with something like this:

In this case describing States won't do. You need to be able to describe whole groups in this mess. Notice, that it would be total chaos if not the bracket grouping. Unreal does it in the backgroud of the States, so the bracket is just a "picture" under the graphs. From your answer I didn't actually understand if you can or can't do that in PlayMaker.

P.S. Sorry to post Kismet examples, I can't find any complicated FSM pics :/
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:01:53 AM by Kubold »

Lane

• Administrator
  • Mender of the past
    • Cleverous
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:36:43 AM »
Yeah there is no bracketing segregation like that for Playmaker at the moment. If I had a system getting that huge I would start dividing the work into separate FSM's as it made sense and glancing at the transition lines there it looks like it would make sense to move a lot of that data to other FSMs just for the sake of simplicity. But I have seen some stuff other users have posted which was that big and it certainly was confusing. Some bracketing like that would be helpful.

You might post this over in Feature requests, Alex is always looking for ideas like this to improve the UI and usability.
Products by Cleverous
|| Vault Core : Database
|| Vault Inventory : Multiplayer Inventory
|| Vault Attributes : Character Stats
|| That Hurt! : Dmg Floaties
|| Quinn : 3D

Kubold

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:44:05 AM »
I will, thanks!

In a perfect world, everything should be neat, compact and tidy. But FSMs like this happen way to often, expecially with big games with lot of animations. I can't imagine how the animation controller for Assassin's Creed character would look like... ;)