playMaker

Author Topic: Not happy with the new Send Event action.  (Read 4305 times)

Carlsen

• Playmaker Newbie
Not happy with the new Send Event action.
« on: September 09, 2011, 06:47:18 AM »
Just updated to 1.2, and overall it is a great update. Being able to select individual actions and copy paste them = awesome. I mean, Unity, come on, we seriously need to be able to do this with components asap!

I do have a complaint though regarding the new Send Event action (replacing Send Event to FSM). When you select an object (or FSM) that you want to send and event to, I want to be able to choose ONLY from the events available on that specific target FSM.

With the new Send Event action, you are forced to send global events, and the list of these global events contains all the events marked as global in all FSMs, which is not ideal when you actually just want to send a specific event to a specific FSM. The list would in my project quickly contain 100s of events  :-\

My ideal solution would be to have 3 types of events. Private, Public, and Global. Private events can only be send within a FSM itself. Public can be send from other FSMs to the FSM defining the event. Finally we have Global events, which are essentially shares by all FSMs, and can hence be send from any FSM to any other FSM.

For now, I have marked the old Send Event to FSM as not obsolete in my project, as the new one is not useful for my purposes.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Not happy with the new Send Event action.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 09:54:55 AM »
Thanks - this is good feedback.

This is actually something we went back and forth on in the beta. At one point the list only contained the global events used by the targeted FSM. However this assumes an editing order, and forced a round trip to the targeted FSM to add the event if it doesn't have it already. But I agree the global event list can get unweildy in a big project.

A good compromise might be for it to work like the transition event selection menu - show the global events used by the targeted FSM first, then nest all global events under a sub menu if you need to get to them.

I plan a fairly quick update to address any issues that come up with the 1.2 update... I had a feeling some tweaking of the new global event system would be on the list :)

Carlsen

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 10:53:25 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply, and your wonderful product  :)

Your suggestion would be a suitable fix for my problem.

If you consider adding a private/public/global concept later, it will help keep the global list to a minimum (only containing the few events you actually want to be global).

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 08:27:16 AM »
Hi,

I'd really enjoy something like that indeed. Ideally, I'd like to be able to add a PlaymakerGlobals component where I want, and anything falling within in its hierarchy would see these globals.

this way, adding a top most PlaymakerGlobals component would obviously be visible by all fsm, and then you can give access to some more private set of globals to certain branches of your hierarchy. Would work very weel with prefabs too I think.

Bye,

Jean