playMaker

Author Topic: Asset Submission Frustration  (Read 3865 times)

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
Asset Submission Frustration
« on: April 11, 2014, 04:03:30 PM »
Hey guys, I just need to vent a little. I decided to do a quick little remake of flappy bird myself last month and it ended up becoming a nicely polished product. So, I decided to put it on the asset store as I believe there are many valuable concepts to learn from a fully fleshed out flappy bird project for people who are new to Unity and Playmaker.

I was wary from the start, seeing how just as many people seem to despise flappy bird for it's simplicity as there are people who love it. So long story short; it has been rejected more times now than I care to count, every time for the same cut and paste reason in my email response. Talking about copyright concerns when modifying existing themes and artistic styles. I went ahead and completely re-skinned and renamed the project through numerous revisions, until the only resemblance it had left with the original game was the gameplay mechanic itself, which I don't believe anyone can hold a copyright on.

There are countless other asset store products that are more directly copying concepts than this kit such as the breakout kit, which even the name itself I believe is copyrighted by Atari. Our own Flying Robot even has his cool SlingShot kit up on the store, which is obviously an angry bird mechanic. I wish I knew where the line is drawn, are people just biased about anything "Flappy?"

Anyways, even though the flappy fad has passed it's prime, I'm likely going to sell it on my own website and include both skins. Making the kit was a fun learning exercise and I regret nothing.

Thanks for reading, and let me know what you think! Also let me know your score! :P

P.S. Demo "C" with the ugly generic font style and boring names is the last one I submitted.

<< DEMO A >>
<< DEMO B >>
<< DEMO C >>
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 08:14:04 PM by Graham »
More templates on the Unity Asset Store!

Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets; we may receive a commission for purchases made through them. This helps us to continue developing and maintaining great products!

Ishinash

• Playmaker Newbie
Re: Flappy Project
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 03:28:54 AM »
Hey Graham,

That's really interesting that it was straight up rejected.  You might want to try submitting it again with a different name and not referencing "Flappy Bird" at all in the description or title block.  I know a lot of companies have completely blocked flappy bird (and now 2048) as "spam" and refuse to sell or associate with the clones - I personally don't blame 'em.  Unless it's for educational purposes, which this asset could fall into, the horse has been dead for some time.

It looks like Brandon Wu beat you to setting up the FSMs for the project ( http://hutonggames.com/playmakerforum/index.php?topic=6841.0 ), but good luck on your asset!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 03:30:42 AM by Ishinash »

Graham

• I Love Playmaker!
    • Portfolio
Re: Flappy Project
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 09:04:19 AM »
Thanks Ishinash,

If you look at demo C I did exactly that. The only thing that has any resemblance to the original is pretty much the gameplay mechanic of moving right and avoiding obstacles. Maybe it was my fish's big lips? lol.

I did notice Brandon Wu's tutorial. It's cool, but it takes you only so far. There is still the whole bucket of missing features and actual game feel that is fun to touch. I was just trying to offer an easily skinnable, feature rich, mobile ready, polished project.
More templates on the Unity Asset Store!

Disclosure: We are using affiliate links to our assets; we may receive a commission for purchases made through them. This helps us to continue developing and maintaining great products!