playMaker

Author Topic: Unity words  (Read 3465 times)

wheretheidivides

Unity words
« on: May 26, 2014, 04:01:42 AM »
I'd like some unity words to go alongside the playmaker ones.  So like create object would be 'create object (instantiate)'.  Sometimes I look for stuff and can't find out cause the terminology is different.  Also, for Booleans, instead of a check box, I'd like to have 2 radio buttons (one on and one off).  While I'm at it, I'd like to get stranded on a desert island with the dallas cowboy cheerleaders.

PaulH

• Junior Playmaker
Re: Unity words
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 12:29:57 PM »
I'd like some unity words to go alongside the playmaker ones.  So like create object would be 'create object (instantiate)'.  Sometimes I look for stuff and can't find out cause the terminology is different.  Also, for Booleans, instead of a check box, I'd like to have 2 radio buttons (one on and one off).  While I'm at it, I'd like to get stranded on a desert island with the dallas cowboy cheerleaders.

all of the above^^^^^

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 01:41:50 AM »
Hi,

Tricky in many situations, because most actions do more than calling a similar function within Unity, it's a combination bringing more on the table then a single call.

I think the way out of this is to allow more keywords and tags per action, so that searching and filtering is not just done by the name of the action or the category.

It's also very important to always read and document yourself on actions you use, and be curious and see what calls it makes in the script. I know it may sound silly if you have no experience with scripting, but it helps getting a good overview nonetheless.

Bye,

Jean

wheretheidivides

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 03:06:15 AM »
How about an 'int subtract'?  Who would know you use 'int add' but use a minus sign first.  You all could add that extra thing in like 5 minutes.  leave the int add alone, but add in a int subtract.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 04:39:53 AM »
Hi,

Well, that particular example calls for common sense really, I was thinking for more convoluted actions. I would not recommand duplicate such actions because it's obvious that adding -1 will in effect substract. It's nothing to do with how unity handle scenes, and how to interact with Unity generated content, it's pure maths and logic.

We talked about doing min and max operations on several values with Lane the other day. He came with one action where you would define wether to do a min or a max as a property setup within the action properties, that typically, is two distinct operations, that can not cross in terms of expected result and so I suggest doing two distinct actions. like I am also edgy on the "xxx operator" actions, which totally hide what it does in reality. so I am with on this, only that for "add" and "substract", it's a bit of a stretch :)

Bye,

Jean