playMaker

Author Topic: Touch Control for iOS  (Read 10274 times)

elektro

• Playmaker Newbie
Touch Control for iOS
« on: March 23, 2011, 08:55:02 PM »
Will you implement specific iOS control scripts in a future playMaker release (if yes - when)?
Especially a touch control script (move the character to touch position + zoom camera to current character location) would be nice.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
Re: Touch Control for iOS
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 09:44:37 PM »
Yes we have iOS actions in the 1.1 update.

There are also iTween actions that are very powerful - great for moving characters/cameras around.

The scenario you describe will definitely be possible. In Playmaker you'd do this with a few states and events. For example:

Character FSM:

Idle: Random idle animations, waiting for a command. A MoveCommand event transitions to MoveToTarget.
MoveToTarget: Get target position from the event data and move towards it. A Finished event when the target is reached triggers a return to Idle.

Then you'd have a Controller FSM send the MoveCommand event on touching the world.

The cool thing about an FSM is it can start simple like this, but then you can quickly add states as needed to really flesh out the behavior (as opposed to a single script where all the logic is hidden and harder to change).

For example, lets say you want the character to acknowledge the MoveCommand - just add an Acknowledge state between Idle and MoveToTarget and have it play an animation/sound.

elektro

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 06:39:58 AM »
Thank you for your quick and detailed answer.
Sounds great!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:42:18 AM by elektro »

Matt

• Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 09:42:33 AM »
When do you think 1.1 will be released? I'm itching to have a play with the iOS & iTween actions!

Kardend

• 1.2 Beta
  • Playmaker Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 01:47:30 PM »
yes yes!!! when do you think 1.1 will be ready? I just can't wait to start using it for my iPad game.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 05:12:04 PM »
1.1 is in beta now. As long as there are no show-stopping bugs we should release this week... (working on more sample scenes now).

theBrandonWu

• Playmaker Newbie
    • Studio Pepwuper
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 09:11:40 PM »
release this week?! You just made my day. ;)
Studio Pepwuper: http://www.pepwuper.com
One Month Game School (now on SkillShare): https://www.skillshare.com/r/user/thebrandonwu