playMaker

Author Topic: Zoom and Multi FSM display  (Read 6495 times)

kinetiknz

• Junior Playmaker
Zoom and Multi FSM display
« on: November 23, 2011, 12:27:58 AM »
I think the editor should be redesigned to show all FSM's or a user loaded selection and allow zooming. Also show/highlight current actions of every FSM that is shown. This would help alot with the broad overview of the FSM networks.

jeanfabre

• Administrator
  • Official Playmaker Support
Re: Zoom and Multi FSM display
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 10:20:49 AM »
Hi,

Yes, I'd like zoom too. I'd enjoy as well a tabbed editor or even better the ability to show multiple fsm as the same time. that would be a great addition.

A higher level view is planned If I remember correctly to show this fsm network as you say.

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 12:16:12 AM »
Editing in a zoomed out view is a little tricky. I'm thinking about implementing it as "zoom out, then zoom in wherever you click" - so you get an overview, and can quickly jump around larger graphs, but you don't edit in the zoomed out view. Would this be useful, or is editing at any zoom a real requirement?

@kinetiknz - The Fsm Browser can be quite handy to see all FSMs and their current state. If there's more info you'd like to see in existing Browsers that's quicker to add than a redesign of the Graph View. As Jean mentioned, a higher level view is also planned for the broad overview. If you have any ideas on how to visualize any of this, mockups are greatly appreciated :)

Mark_T

• 1.2 Beta
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 08:09:59 AM »
As Jean mentioned, a higher level view is also planned for the broad overview. If you have any ideas on how to visualize any of this, mockups are greatly appreciated :)

I`m learning Playmaker and Ihave to say I love it. :)
My scripting skills are zero but I can do my thing, and as you can imagine, that`s very exciting.
While I was learning using Xtopher`s tutorials (http://www.wellplayedgames.com/), I tried to open a second FSM Editor window but this option was missing. I thought that it was my mistake because I didn`t locked the view. I locked the view to one of the game-objects with an active FSM, but still, I didn`t had this option. I was expecting to open a second FSM Editor window and dock it and avoid switching FSMs. I`m also using two monitors and having such an option will be a huge speedup to the general workflow in Playmaker.
Seeing this thread and your encouragement, a thought to give it a try.
The first one is the way I expected the interface to behave (opening more than one FSM Editor window)
The second and the third mockups are representing the Editor window/tab hostimg multiple FSMs. This second version it may be harder to implement and I`ll be really happy having more than one FSM Editor window opened at one time.

For the second version I was thinking that maybe it will be convenient to show the connections between different FSMs. Also having the option to minimize each FSM area it might be useful.

P.S. - Many Thanks for this great tool (Playmaker)!!!! I can`t say enought how delighted I am. :)

Alex Chouls

• Administrator
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 09:59:12 AM »
Awesome - I love mockups! It makes it a lot easier to talk about a feature.

Multiple FSM editing is definitely high on the TODO list. The next update will see the Action Panel get some much needed love, including Drag And Drop to add and move actions... But the Graph View is next!

If you're interested in beta testing new versions, PM me and I'll add you to the list - good mockups are invaluable in betas!

P.S. - Many Thanks for this great tool (Playmaker)!!!! I can`t say enought how delighted I am.

Thanks! Would love to see this as an Asset Store review!! ;)

jeanfabre

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 11:35:48 AM »
Hi,

Great mockups!!

I really see the second mockup being useful to visualize inter links between fsm, in that view, it would be great to be able to also see component implementing playmaker api for example.

Bye,

Jean

Mark_T

• 1.2 Beta
  • Junior Playmaker
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 02:42:10 PM »
Thanks guys, glad you found it useful. :)

If you're interested in beta testing new versions, PM me and I'll add you to the list - good mockups are invaluable in betas!

PM sent

Thanks! Would love to see this as an Asset Store review!! ;)

Done (with great pleasure). After posting the review I can`t find it. I suppose it`ll wait until approved?

tobbeo

• 1.2 Beta
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 04:46:07 PM »
This seems very similar to Nuke, which I used to show Alex a few examples in the 1.2 beta. I completely agree that it would be an awesome way to visually handle/see your FSMs.

Good stuff :).