playMaker

Author Topic: Animate Player to top of box (climbing)  (Read 1522 times)

dmcctab

• Playmaker Newbie
Animate Player to top of box (climbing)
« on: May 26, 2014, 10:09:20 AM »
Hi,

I have been trying to achieve this all day.

Simply, the user can push crates. Upon pressing space I want him to climb on top.

I have the climbing animation working properly and am currently using iTween to move the player to the position of an empty object on top of the crate.

This does not work smoothly, nor does it work all the time. The positioning needs to be perfect or the player seems to collide with the crates box collider and stop moving upwards.

From my research I have heard that playing the animation in-place while offsetting the player to the top of the crate then "snapping" them together will work, but to be honest I have no idea how to go about this.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Breadman

• Derp
Re: Animate Player to top of box (climbing)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 02:12:17 AM »
It sounds like you might be able to get away with animating the character "climbing" in place - much like how a walk cycle doesn't actually move the character forward, since this is address via programming in-engine.

Once you have the character climbing in place, you can move the entire character controller using a variety of methods. Sounds like you would want to animate the character upwards first, and then forward towards the center of the cube top. You might need two animations - one climbing upward in place, and one sort of transitioning between climbing upward and crawling onto his knees (or however he gets up there) and eventually standing back up to idle.