playMaker

Author Topic: Datamaker XML perfs and vars  (Read 764 times)

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
Datamaker XML perfs and vars
« on: October 28, 2021, 10:41:37 AM »
1. It seems the extraction of nodes and properties is slow. Is it normal and are there ways to speed this up?

2. Is there a way to make the <result> readable? I'd like to see the content of the selected nodes and the resulting list.

3. I've seen an older thread from January '21 where using a var for Store Reference was problematic. I haven't had any issue since that time but the description of Store Reference is misleading because that's just not what people expect when they must define a var. Acting as a pointer to some place in the memory, the value put in the string field or FsmString will not be replaced, and if you're using a variable, it will not store any text. Leaving the field empty is therefore an error. So the description should be modified to reflect the exceptional use of a string field associated to 'references' in the XML actions.

djaydino

• Administrator
    • jinxtergames
Re: Datamaker XML perfs and vars
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 01:33:34 PM »
Hi.

Yes Xml is slow indeed. what we did is get all data on loading and place in hashtables.
But this will increase loading time.

during gameplay its not advisable to use xml directly (a trivia game might be ok, but a nono for fast reference.)

2 :
There is a component called 'Data Maker Xml Proxy' and use the action Xml Save In Proxy.
This does works only in play mode tho.
But there are several web tools where you can drag in your xml text and test searches.

I have not had issues yet as well.

if xml is to slow you might want to look into Scriptable Objects

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 11:03:15 AM »
if xml is to slow you might want to look into Scriptable Objects

————————————————————————> *runs FTL*

Broken Stylus

• Beta Group
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 05:28:03 AM »
Whereas I can save a reference of the extracted XML content, this simply does not get pasted into the Data Maker Xml Proxy component.
The action Xml Save In Proxy has four fields.
  • Store Reference: this is where I use a FsmString because I do not want to retype the name manually. It works with other actions.
  • Xml Source: as per the recommendations I leave this one to "None" since I use a Xml ref above, but I find the choices odd since I can only use a string instead of a flexible system that would allow me to point to files too.
  • Game Object: set to "Use Owner" since my proxies are on the same G.O.
  • Reference: this time I typed "ref0" because that the name I gave to the Xml Proxy too.
This configuration does not work. I press play but the proxy does not get populated with the data that would be copied from the extracted content (the reference).
The documentation for the proxies is out of date btw, the links are dead.